10

*

I don't think I've experienced so much pain in nearly a decade. I was always good, trying to obey orders; but now I could feel the fever coming on.

The worst of it was Mr. O'dare expected to keep me here. I had survived on the pretense that Jayda would make the pain stop, but now, I knew what would happen.

Weeks of just laying here, without a friend to speak with. Not a soul that even knew my name.

Of course maybe that's a blessing.  Maybe this means that I can rest in peace for a couple of weeks.  Though the thought to being around this man without Jayda here admittedly scared me. It wasn't like she could do anything to protect me, it was simply the comfort of being around her.

I was eventually able to pass out for hours on end, but the dreams didn't make anything better. It was like the childhood nightmare of the monster chasing you around trying to get you and suddenly it gets closer and closer and closer until finally it catches you.

I never knew who the monster was, except that it was a vampire. I would always wake up just as its hands wrapped around my face.

Cold sweat became normal in the two days since I had been left here. The only person I had seen was the woman who's caring for me. I don't even know her name.

I was lying in bed, trying not to fall asleep when I heard the door slowly creak open. I heard footsteps rush towards me hastily.  Turning my head I saw Jack, the boy I now vaguely recall meeting.

"Jack, what's wrong?"

"Hayden. I had to see if you were all right."

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"Well because that vampire girl was in here and I know they never do anything but hurt us. I just- I was worried."

"No, I'm fine. She didn't hurt me."

"She didn't try to feed off of you?"

"No."

"But I saw her bend down to your neck, what was she doing?"

"Jack why did you see that?"

"Well I was coming to see if you were alright."

"Why?"

"Well. I kind of know what he's like. Master O'Dare. And you were the first guy here to actually talk to me, nicely at least. I felt bad."

"Wow, you know that's really nice of you Jack."

"I should warn you too. He doesn't really give recovery time. He'll probably start you working again in a day or two."