Chapter 1 | Part 2

Hayden walked back into Jayda's large room and found her sitting on the window overlooking the view. It really was quite beautiful. He went and sat with her, looking the same place as she. The rolling green hills gave one a sense of peace, yet the dimensions of mountains behind them held such an air of mystery.

The warm summer air moved through the trees, causing a rustle amongst the birds that took roost there, their sudden movement seemingly caused by something else. The focal point changed, emerging from the woods was a tall man, cloaked in black, a top hat perched on his head. He walked quickly from the trees and in a blink disappeared from view.

The next thing they knew, the ominous sound of the doorbell filled the halls. They heard Maci open the door and allow the stranger into the front room.

"Do you know who that was?"

Hayden asked Jayda, she turned to him.

"I haven't the faintest."

"A friend of your fathers perhaps?"

"If so he's certainly unknown to me."

She stood from here seat and took his hand. Together they walked down the hall and watched from the top of the steps as Tyler greeted the sudden guest with a warm handshake.

"Jeffery"

"Tyler. How are you?"

"I'm doing quite well. What brings you by?"

"I would like to speak with you and your daughter."

"Of course."

"Is there somewhere we could speak more privately? Perhaps without so many," he paused dark eyes peering up at Jayda as he searched his vocabulary for a proper word, "unclean."

"My study is right through here. Please have a seat"

He gestured through the door and looked up to find Jayda and Hayden.

"Who is that father?"

"Jeffery O'Dare. He's an old friend of your mother and I's. I don't know why he's come but I'm must forewarn you. He is not from our clan, he is of the dark, the ancient." He turned to look at Hayden. "I advise you boy not to forget that you are nothing more than a slave."

With his warnings he turned back down the stairs and walked into the study. Jayda squeezed Hayden's hand and walked into the room behind her father.

"Jayda, how you've grown. You look quite like your mother. Beautiful and terrifying at the same time."

She laughed, perhaps it had been meant as a compliment.

"It is very nice to make your acquaintance again Mr. O'Dare."

She took her seat on a couch and Hayden took his place behind her, copying the movements of Tyler's slave Daniel.

"So Jeffery, what brings you here?"

"You remember that reached revolution at my old plantation? Almond Manor?"