(17) Stay Omega Stay

Chapter 17.

I clipped on the earrings into the holes in my ears. Not too long ago Sage had pierced my ears, and I was very happy with the way they came out. It made me feel more feminine, and prettier of course. They were diamonds and seemed to sparkle in the morning sun shining through the window.

I looked solemnly at the bathroom where my mate was taking a shower; the door open so the steam would escape. He was mumbling to himself, clearly trying to think of what to say. As the Alpha of his pack, it was always a tradition for him to speak during a fallen pack member's funeral during war. A funeral that I tried so hard to prevent from happening.

After trying so hard to prevent there from being any more deaths, I watched with my own eyes the people I loved most leave the world. It was inevitable, but I still blamed myself, and always will. They had lives to live outside of what they got, and they didn't deserve it. They were young and full of light. Why must the good always die young?

I jumped when I felt hands brush against my shoulders, and looked into the mirror as I saw my mate, looking down solemly. Lucian grabbed the zipper of my black dress, and slowly zipped it up. I breathed, feeling the tightness of the material against my chest. This wasn't my dress, and it always felt wrong wearing it. However, my grandmother wanted me to wear it, and so I did.

It was Sage's favorite evening dress, even if it was black. She wore it to all the classy evenings when her parents set up parties in hopes of her finding her mate. No one expected it to be a funeral dress, but I guess that was what it was now. A piece of her that I will always wear to remember the loss of her.

"We'll get through this," Lucian murmered, rubbing my shoulders softly. "One step at a time."

I swallowed down a sob and turned around in his arms. His green eyes that were usually bright were dulled and it now made me realize how much Savannah's death had affected him. She had been his best tracker, selected by him to go on the most important missions. There was no doubt that they got close if they went on exbititions together. Any loss of a pack member was something to be mourned strongly.

"I can't go." I whispered, looking down at my shaking hands. "I can't see them like that, the way they are. I can't look at the damage I have caused, the people I have broken because of me."

"Hey." He wrapped me in his arms, and for once they didn't give me comfort. It made me feel less deserving to have him, since Sage never found her other half. "If you don't go, believe me, you'll regret it later in life."

"Lucian, you don't understand." I gasped, trying to calm my shaky breathing. "I can't go."

"You've gotten all pretty for this," he mumbled, brushing a stray copper strand behind my ear, "You'll want to say your goodbye's to Sag-"

"Please don't say their names." I croaked, blinking the tears away as I pushed myself out of his arms.

"Come on." He held his arm out for me to take, and I shyly linked it through his. "I'll be your shoulder to cry on, your rock to support you, and the anchor to hold you down. I promise."

We walked out of our room, and I looked down at my body for the last time. I was in a pair of black heels, small enough for me to walk in but classy enough for this kind of event. The black dress I wore was made out of a laced fabic that came down to my wrists and the length went right up to the top of my knees. Lucian had thrown a jacket over my shoulders to keep me warm, but my body has slowly adapted to the colder temperature.