(21) Stay Omega Stay

Chapter 21.

I gripped the crumbling letter in my hand. There were so many ways this discussion could play out, and each one ended with Oliver killing me. I imagine him yelling at me, shouting at me for thrusting such a drastic fate on him. I see Lilura walking in at the worst time, and Oliver telling her what must be done. I can just see her understanding why I need to die, and even killing me as well.

The door of my brothers office creeked open, and Oliver stepped in gingerly. He shut the door softly, and when he noticed my tense figure his eyebrows scrunched together. He took a step towards me, but I just took one back. I couldn't risk anything, even if he didn't know. The closer he was, the less time I would have to react if he attacked me.

"I'm honestly sorry Penny, I was busy doing things." He looked down at his watched and examined it. "I'm only three minutes late, it's no big deal right?"

"Of course not." I said bluntly, moving around so the main desk was between us. I needed as much space as possible.

"Are you alright?" He asked, worry edged into his voice.

"I need you to promise me something before I give you this." I held up the paper in the air not far from my face.

"You're the next Moon Goddess, I'm pretty sure it's some sort of sin to defy you." He chuckled, but regained complete seriousness when he noticed my face. "Alright what am I promising?"

"You have to promise to do what you think is right for yourself, not for me, when I give you this. Because you have a decision to make that requires you to be selfish."

"Alright, I promise to do this for myself." He held out his hand, and I cautiously handed him the letter his mother had wrote to him all those years ago.

He was silent while reading it, his face completely blank as he read it. I knew he finished it the moment he looked at me, an indecisive look on his face. He clearly didn't know what to do, but he had to do something. If he killed me, he knew it would be an automatic death sentence by Lucian. But wouldn't it be worth it if people were free from the current Moon Goddess. For all we know, she could be scripting another persons unfortunate future.

"What do you want me to do Penny?" He asked with surprise in his voice. "Kill you? Have you lost you god damn mind?"

"It's the only way to rid this world of everything that's happened." I told him frantically. "If I die, this world will be free of that evil Moon Goddess who's calling all the shots."

"How could you ask me to be selfish, my answer is simple." He barked, tossing the letter swiftly onto the desk. "I would rather die than to see you dead."

"Don't say that." I cried in frustration, linking my fingers through my short hair. "You can't say that."

"What is family to you Penny?" He asked plainly, crossing his arms over his chest. "To me, family is everything. We fight each other, we disagree with each other, but in the end we always fight for each other. You are my family Penny, and you thinking I would ever kill someone in my family proves to me that you have clearly lost your sanity."

He didn't understand, he couldn't. Why was he trying so hard to draw this out? A wolf usually plays with its kill before finally gobbling it up. Is he doing the same to me? Maybe he's trying to confince me that he won't hurt me so he can catch me by surprise.