60 // making amends

Blake's POV||

After the birth, Christina was transferred to a recovery room. We sat in silence for a couple of minutes because she was tired, and I didn't wanna bother her.

"Did you call your parents & Chasity already?" she asked.

"Yeah. They're on the way."

She nodded, laid her head back on the pillow and closed her eyes for a second. A few minutes later, two nurses came in with the twins. Christina & I automatically started smiling when our eyes landed on them.

"What are we gonna name them?" Chris asked, looking up from the baby in her arms.

"I have no idea."

I was embarrassed that we didn't have names for our kids.

"Well," she started, "Chasity had some suggestions, and I wanted to talk to you about them." I nodded for her to continue. "She suggested Aubrey for the girl, and Austin for the boy."

"I like those," I said, "Austin & Aubrey Griffin."

She let out a sigh of relief and looked back down at Austin. We talked about middle names, and we decided to give them our siblings' middle names.

There was a light knock at the door, followed by my parents, Chasity, Taylor & Marieka walking in the room.

"Hi," my mom said softly. "How are you?"

"I'm exhausted," Christina answered, "but it was worth it."

Christina placed Austin in my mom's arms, and I did the same with Aubrey & my dad.

"They're so cute! What are their names?" Chasity asked excitedly.

"This is Aubrey Janelle Griffin," I said, pointing at Aubrey. "And that is Austin Drew Griffin."

Hearing their middle names made Chasity & Taylor smile.

"Oh, Christina, we talked to your parents," my mom said, handing Austin back to Chris.

Her smile disappeared, and she slowly looked up at my mom. "What'd they say?"

"They'll be here tomorrow," mom said, moving some hair out of Chris' face. "They want to see you and the babies."

Christina looked at me, but I was just as shocked as she was. I hope they plan to apologize to her while they're here.

"Well, we're not gonna stay long," my dad said, giving Aubrey back to me. "Get some rest, and we'll see you two tomorrow."

We said our goodbyes and they left, leaving Chris & I alone with the babies again.

"Do you think my parents really want to see us?" Chris asked me.

I set the babies in their bassinets, then sat next to Chris on the bed. "I don't know, baby, but we'll see."

✦✦✦✦

the next day..

A lot of people came to Christina's house to see her & the twins and it was nice, but I know she's tired. She went in the kitchen to get some water to wake herself up, but that was fifteen minutes ago.

I went in the kitchen to see what she was doing, and I laughed to myself because she was leaning against the refrigerator, asleep.

"Hey!" I shouted in her ear.

She jumped and looked at me, then punched me in the chest. "I hate you," she chuckled sleepily. "Why would you do that?"

I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her forehead, then she rested her head against my chest.

"I'm sorry. Why don't you go get some sleep?" I suggested. "The babies are sleeping right now."

"What if they wake up? Can you handle them by yourself?"

"I think so," I shrugged. "If not, I'm sure my mom won't mind helping me out."

She nodded and gave me a peck on the lips, then went upstairs to take a nap.

✕•✕•✕

three hours later..

Christina's POV||

After my nap, I took a hot shower and got dressed. Even though I only slept for three hours, I felt well-rested.

"How was your nap?" Blake asked when I walked in the living room.

"Good." I kissed his cheek and sat next to him. "Where's Chasity?"

"I told her she could go out with that Kevin boy."

I laughed at him saying "that Kevin boy," and shook my head. That is the most dad-like thing I have ever heard him say.

I looked at Austin & Aubrey, who were still sleeping, and smiled at them. My smile slowly faded when my parents appeared in front of me.

"Hi, Christina."

I simply waved and kept my eyes on them as they sat on the couch across from me & Blake.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked. "Did you really want to see us, or did you just come here to tell me I'll suck as a mother?"

My words hurt them, but their words hurt me too, so now we're even. Is that petty? Yes, but I think I've earned the right to be petty.

"Christina, sweetheart, we are so sorry for everything we have said and done to you," my mom said.

This is not what I was expecting today. I looked at both of my parents' faces, and I could tell they were sincere.

Blake & his parents left so I could talk to my parents but I was so shocked that they apologized, I didn't know what to say to them.

"Wh...Where is this coming from?" I asked. "And why now?"

"Tommy talked to us," my dad admitted, "he told us we needed to put our pride to the side and admit we were wrong, and we were so wrong, Chris. I just...I hope you can forgive us."

This was all too good to be true, so I discreetly pinched my thigh to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

"And I want to apologize for trying to give your babies away the way I did," my mom cried hysterically. "I was just being spiteful, but I know you'll be a fantastic mother. These babies are so lucky to have you."

I promised myself I wouldn't cry when I talked to them, but I'm still emotional as hell. And on top of that, I never thought my mom would say that to me.

"I forgive you both because I want my kids to have their grandparents," I said, wiping the never-ending tears falling from my eyes.

I stood up from the couch and did something I haven't done in a while; I hugged my parents. There was so much more we needed to talk about, but I'll just save that for another day.

"Now that that's settled, I want you to meet your grandchildren."

They moved to the other couch so they could see the twins' faces, and they smiled at the sleeping babies.

"This is Austin, and this is Aubrey."

"Christina, they're so precious," my mom said, "can we..."

"Yeah, of course."

I carefully picked up Austin and gave him to my dad, then I got Aubrey and gave her to my mom. Now that the twins are here and my parents & I are on good terms, it feels like a giant weight has been lifted from my shoulders.