CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

"No

"No."

"Listen to me, Cassio," started Lily.

"This essay is not due tomorrow. I refuse to believe it," I replied, clogging my ears with my fingers.

"Cassio-"

"Lying is a sin, Lily," I said loudly, drowning out her voice.

"As if nothing you do is a sin," Lily scoffed.

"She 'as a point," jumped in Zoe.

"Zoe, you're supposed to be the one backing me up. Not bloody disproving my point."

"Cassio, even though you don't believe us about the due date, you could still get started on it," pointed out Alice.

"That's irrelevant," I whined.

"Cassio," groaned Lily.

"What is it now? Or do you just like saying my name?"

"You're being unnecessarily difficult," sighed Marlene.

"Mar! You're also supposed to help me out here." I complained.

"Is this how you are around the boys?" Alice asked.

"Does it really matter?" Zoe retaliated. "She's not going to do 'er work either way."

"Of course not! Remus does it for me," I said indignantly.

"Well, can Lupin come over here and do your essay right now? We're running out if time," Marlene suggested.

"Marlene! We're trying to discourage this kind of thing," scolded Lily.

"Well, he's smart enough," defended Marlene. Alice sighed from the armchair.

"Actually, I have to agree with Lily. I think it's too much to ask Remus to write this essay for me," I admitted, not meeting their eyes.

"What? Are you saying that you'll actually write the essay?" Alice gasped, almost knocking over her bottle of ink.

"No! Of course I'm not saying that. I just think that Remus has a little bit too much going on right now."

Blank stares from every girl.

"What with O.W.L.s and all. Plus, he's sick again. It's too much for him. I think he needs a break," I covered quickly.

"Well, it's good to know that Cassio isn't soulless," muttered Zoe.

"Why would you think that I was bloody soulless?" I exclaimed, offended.

"Well, I-"

"Let's write our essays, why don't we?" Interrupted Lily.

••••••••••••••••••
"James, our O.W.L.s are next week. Please, don't distract me," groaned Remus, looking up from his Potions textbook.