CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

It took me a moment to register what was happening

It took me a moment to register what was happening. I was half asleep; now I felt like I could sprint a marathon. The image in front of me wasn't registering even though my brain was yelling at me to do something. Because there was no way in hell Sirius bloody Black would be standing on my doorstep at this time of night.

"Well, hello to you too, Red," he said sarcastically. His tired tone sliced through my foggy thoughts.

"What the hell are you doing here? I could be asleep right now!" I complained. Then I noticed the suitcase in his left hand.

"What...?"

"I need your help," he said simply, his grey eyes boring into mine.

It was like flip had switched.

His eyes are so damn beautiful they're like a new kind of magic, I mused.

"Come on in."

•••••••••••••••••••••

I made Sirius a cup of tea and allowed him to explain why he showed up to my house at 3:30 in the morning. When he told me he had finally had enough of his family, I couldn't help but grin. I knew he was upset, but I couldn't help myself. I had been sick and tired of his family for years.

Of course, there was one important question that had to be answered.

"Why did you come to me?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

"James isn't home, and I was already in the area," he said.

James and his parents had gone on a family vacation to France for two weeks to see his great Uncle Fibrus. According to James, "there's no point in going when the old wanker can't see me any ways."

Sirius busied himself with petting Nox who had taken it upon herself to settle down in his lap. I studied him as he looked down at my black cat. He looked shaken up, as expected, and I could tell by his clenched jaw that he was trying to not show how upset he really was.

"Do you just want to sleep in my room tonight?" I surprised myself by asking.

He looked up at me. "I can. Do you have a couch I can sleep on in there?"

"I meant in my bed, dumbass," I corrected, watching him carefully.

"I- I mean, yeah, that's okay," he stammered, quickly clearing his throat. I laughed, noticing his awkward stuttering.

"Relax," I grinned. "It's not like we're going to have sex."

"I didn't say that!" He defended himself. "But if that's what you really, really want, I'll be willing to help you."

I laughed at the flirtatious wink he sent my way.

Most girls would kill to be in your position, I thought randomly.