CHAPTER TWELVE

*dedicated to @potterhead_and_proud for being the first to comment on the last chapter

*dedicated to @potterhead_and_proud for being the first to comment on the last chapter. Shoutout to @jnl12lambert and @padfootprongsmoony for being the second and third to comment.*

A gentle hand shook me awake. "What do you want, Lily? It's Sunday, for Merlin's sake," I muttered, rolling over.

"It's Remus, actually. I lost in a four way of rock paper scissors," answered a soft voice I recognised as Remus'. I laughed softly and opened my eyes. Remus was standing over me and James, Sirius, and Peter were standing far away from us. I smirked at Sirius' shocked expression.

"What, so you punch me, but you don't punch Remus. That makes total sense," Sirius said, obviously offended.

"Remus didn't scream in my ear, and I actually like him," I retorted. He frowned at me.

"We have to go to breakfast," prodded James.

"Right, sorry. Let me change real quick and then I'll be ready," I answered, walking as fast as my poor legs would let me. Five minutes later, I was walking down to the Great Hall, laughing at some joke James was telling. When we sat down in our usual spots, I immediately started piling my plate with food.

"Mail's here," commented James. I looked up to see the owls streaming in. I was shocked to see one flying toward us. It was pure black with a sharp beak and sharp talons. It landed right in front of Sirius and squawked. He glanced up and looked across the room at his brother, who only smirked and raised his goblet to his lips. Sirius pulled the letter off and stood up, backing into a corner. I watched, concerned, as he opened his letter. I couldn't read his face well, but I wasn't getting a good feeling. When he came back with a totally fake smile plastered on his face, I knew something was up.

We started walking to the Common Room as soon as we were done eating. I saw James fall back so that he could talk to Sirius quietly. I decided to stop jogging quickly and start jogging slower so that I was closer to the two of them. "What's up?" James asked, clearly concerned.

"I'll tell you later- it's not safe to say anything here, especially with Smith so close," answered Sirius. My heart fell when I realised that he didn't trust me.

We may not like each other that much, but to be mistrusted was at the height of dishonor to me. I kept my face held up as I walked sleepily back to my dorm. I threw myself onto my bed and groaned.

Too many thoughts this early in the morning. There was a tapping on my window and I sat up, silently cursing the world for not letting me rest for just a minute. I opened my window and Camelopardolis flew in. That reminded me, where in this huge world was Cinder? I haven't seen her in forever. Then again, she was a phoenix and couldn't be bothered by human rules.

I untied the letter from his leg and promised him that I would take him to the kitchens later. I didn't feed my precious owl any old owl food. Pineapples are the only ones who do that. I opened the letter and quickly scanned it.