CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE BOTTOM

After a few months of Hell, I was finally free to live again. That part sounds all fun and dandy, but the reality was that I was going to have to spend my summer cleaning and seeing family that I never get to see otherwise. Also, even though I had escaped school, I still had to do my summer assignments or risk getting my ass kicked by McGonagall.

So, with all that said, I spent my first day of summer shopping with my mum. It was a tradition for us. We liked to catch up on everything that had happened while I was at Hogwarts. Plus, she paid for a bunch of new clothes for me. I can't say no to that.

"How about this dress?" my mother gushed, holding up a short red dress. I raised an eyebrow in skepticism.

"Isn't that a bit too slutty for your liking?" I asked, looking at it nonetheless.

"I thought you could wear it to that party that James always throws," she suggested. "Sirius will be there, won't he?"

"He wouldn't miss it for the world. Why?" I asked, starting to sense where my mother was going with this conversation.

"Don't you want to impress him?"

There it is.

"No, Mum, I'm not in love with Sirius Black," I groaned, turning away from her.

"Oh, darling. I guess you haven't come to terms with it yet," she sighed in disappointment.

"Mum, I don't like him."

"Please. I saw you two at the train station," scoffed my mum, rolling her eyes.

Heat crept over my cheeks as I recalled how he had hugged me so tight that I felt like he might have thought it would be the last time we would ever see each other. I was still adjusting to calling him Sirius. I hadn't told anyone about our deal, and I didn't know if he had told anyone. So far as I knew, we were the only two people who knew.

"You're blushing," my mum pointed out smugly. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"Mum, I don't like Sirius Black," I groaned, starting to walk down another aisle.

"Didn't he used to be the most annoying person you ever knew?" Mum persisted.

"Well, yeah. He still is. We just grew a little closer this year," I answered, instantly cringing as I realized how my Mum would take that.

"A little closer or a lot closer?"

"Just a little closer, Mum."

She didn't say anything as I searched determinedly through the rack of shirts. I carefully pulled a few out and held them against myself, looking in the mirror on the wall. After a few moments I began to become suspicious of my Mum's silence.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" I asked, breaking her focus from the pile of jeans she was sorting through.

"I don't have anything else to say," she replied.