Chapter 7

Siera woke up confused and in pain, surrounded by trees. The events that had led to her waking up on the forest floor eluded her. She rubbed her head as she sat up and winced, it was like glass shards were embedded in her brain.

As she stood up even more injuries made themselves known. Her back, her hand, her throat. There wasn't a part of her that didn't ache.

"Hello?" She croaked, stumbling around in a circle. "HELLO?!" 

Dizziness exploded inside of her head, causing her to lurch to the side. She made her way to the closest tree, placing a hand on it to steady herself. 

She whimpered as spots of black obscured her vision. She turned and slid down the tree, her eyes sliding shut as the pain in her head intensified. 

Just before she passed out again, she heard the sound of distant hoofs. 

This time when Siera came to she was on the back of a horse. She blinked, taking in the blur of trees as she passed them. She tried to sit up, but the motion made her stomach churn and she groaned.

"You are awake, human?"

The sound had come from in front of her. Siera started as she realized her head wasn't resting against the neck of a horse but the back of a centaur. 

"Where am I?" She tried to remember why she was in the forest, why she was in pain. Bits and pieces of the tumultuous night flashed through her mind. Professor Lupin's study, the Shrieking Shack, a werewolf, her worry for Sirius. The last thing she remembered was-

"Pettigrew!"

"No, you are deep within the Forbidden Forest."

"I only chased him for a few minutes at most. How could I have gone so far?"

"I assume, like with most things your kind is involved in, that magic is to blame."

"Yeah, yeah you're right." Of course, she thought to herself. Pettigrew had picked up her wand and-

Her wand!

She sat up straight, ignoring the way her head protested and her stomach swam. To her surprise horror she found it was missing. "No, oh no. Mister-"

"You may call me Baden."

"Baden, please, my wand. I think I dropped it."

"I will not turn around. I have already done enough by saving your life. I have no quarrel with children, but your presence here disrupts the natural order of things. I will take you to Hagrid but I shall do no more."

Tears pricked at Siera's eyes, but she knew better than to argue. Centaurs were proud and territorial creatures. The fact that he was returning her to Hogwarts was more than she would have expected from one of his kind. Neither wizards or muggles had been kind to them.

"Do you know how much longer until we get there? I think I might pass out again."

"You will not. Speak to me."

Siera shook her head, leaning forward until it once again rested against his back, "I can't." She could feel the blackness approaching once more.

"Then you will listen. Have you ever heard of the wise leader Ideus?"

She shook her head.

"Of course not. Why would they teach you of him? You will leave this forest properly informed, child."

He spoke for the rest of the trek. As the forest thinned around them giving way to more familiar trees and landmarks Siera listened to Baden's stories. She'd always known that centaurs chose to be classified as beasts. But she was ashamed to admit she'd never thought them to be so intelligent. Baden especially liked sharing stories of famous prophecies.