Chapter 9

They'd stopped in what appeared to be an innocuous, muggle neighborhood. They stood in front of several handsome townhouses of a stately deep gray brick.

"Where are we?"

I believe we are in the borough of Islington. Just a short walk from King's Cross, I'd say."

Sirius and Lupin were both staring at the houses, like they were waiting for something.

Siera looked closely at them, trying to notice what had obviously been enchanted to be unnoticeable. All she managed to deduce was that there was a mix up with the house numbers. It went from elevene to thirteen. There was no twelve. 

Almost as if it was waiting for her to take note of it's oddness that houses seemed to shudder, the bricks started to split apart before her eyes. Her mouth hung open as the two houses divided, revealing a large house looming before them. 

"I wasn't sure it would work, Sirius." Lupin said. "I'm surprised they allowed it to pass to you."

Sirius walked towards the house on four legs, his steps slow but sure. Lupin followed closely behind, turning to beckon Siera toward them. "It's alright, this is Grimmauld Place. Your father's childhood home."

Siera looked at it in wonder. The yard was unkept, vines had overtaken the front, and the steps were crumbling. But it had obviously been beautiful once. Siera followed them inside. The door shut with a bang, and immediately Siera heard a loud screeching from somewhere in front of them.

She clapped her hands over her ears and winced at the pain. Sirius turned back into a human and rushed over to a portrait, roughly shoving a set of curtains closed, covering it. The screeches were muted, and Sirius flashed them an apologetic look.

"What in the bloody hell was that?!" Lupin shook his head, as if to rid it of any residual screams.

"My mother." Sirius said dryly.

"Can't feel my ears..." Lupin muttered.

Siera nodded in agreement. "She could put the Fat Lady to shame."

"How did you know it would reveal itself to you?" Lupin asked.

"I didn't, it was a hopeful guess. My mother passed while I was in Azkaban. Last time I was in this house I watched as she blew my face off the family tree. I'd assumed that meant I wouldn't be receiving an inheritance. I had this feeling, though, that it was mine. I just didn't have a reason to look into it." He glanced at Siera, "until now, that is."

"You want me to stay here?" 

Sirius nodded, "you'll be perfectly safe here. It's Unplottable and hidden by the Fidelius charm. Only those I reveal it to will ever be able to find it. It's perfect."

"I admit, Sirius, it's a great hiding place but... it's, well, it's falling apart."

"Oh no, it just needs a few rounds of Scourgify, and it'll be good as new."

Lupin grimaced, "perhaps I'd better look into a few more advanced cleaning spells."

Sirius waved him off, turning back to Siera. "I understand if you'd rather look into boarding at Hogwarts. It probably feels more like a home to you than this place ever could. But I want you to know that I want you here. I'd like to know that you are safe, and taken care of. I... I don't know what happened to your mom, exactly. I'm not sure if I want to know. But I understand she's gone. That doesn't mean you're alone. You have me."

Siera's sniffled, wiping a few stray tears from her face. She was already so sick of crying, and it hadn't even been a day. "I would like to stay here, please. Thank you, Sirius."