17: Jackson's Surprising Words

"I don't want this to be over yet," Thea whispered, half-asleep on her mother's chest.

"It has just started, sweetie," her mother laughed sweet and Thea felt how her chest lightly shook underneath her head.

"I know, I just never want to go back to it," Thea sighed and looked up at the ceiling. She wanted to tell her mom so badly about everything, but it would put too much on her mom's mind and that would do nothing but harm. Besides, what would her mother be able to do against the power of money? Thea didn't want to be a burden so she simply complained to her mom about homework, exams, essays, assignments and the usual things you would complain about.

"If you don't like it that much you know you could quit and move back here, you know that right?" Thea's mom played with her hair as Thea took her mother's words into consideration. No, I can't. I have to do it for you, for grandpa, grandma and Becca. I have to do it for us.

"I'll be alright, it's like that with all college students. I'll be fine, I'm just gonna miss that turkey a lot," she joked to lighten the mood and her mom laughed instantly after.

"I'll send Christina the recipe, so if you two ever have something to celebrate you can use it," Thea nodded and curled up next to her mother.

"Mom, can I ask you something?" Thea asked and instantly felt more awake as soon as her thought had struck her.

"Yes, what is it?" she asked and put her hand on Thea's back, gently stroking it like she used to when Thea was little and upset.

"Are there any geniuely nice people out there except for you, Becca, grandma and grandpa?" She asked and sat up, supported by an elbow and looked at the woman who birthed her.

"You," her mother determinedly answered without a second of thinking and smiled.

"I've been pretty naughty," Thea confessed and smiled, thinking about the things she had done. The smile soon disappeared when her mom answered for the second time.

"Yes, the person that paid for your tuition." her mother answered and Thea saw a bit of guilt take over her mother's face.

"But do you really think that was out of kindness?" Thea asked and sat up properly, leaning back against the wall next to her mother.

"Of course I do! Who would spend that big amount of money, paying for someone's tuition to a great future, and not leave their name?"

"That's what I find weird, they didn't leave their name. As you said, that's a whole lot of money and the Meyers University wasn't even on my mind because I knew how expensive it was to attend, and suddenly we had this huge sum of money transfered to your account and a letter in the mail a day later, telling me to specifically attend that university. They even applied for me! I got the acceptance letter the next day without even applying! This person went to great lengths just so I could go to a university I've had nothing to do it with, ever!" Thea said and noticed she had been speaking with her hands so she took them down.

"That person is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet then, so if you ever meet them, be grateful. There are nice people in this world, no one would do so much for some cruel action," her mother calmly spoke and looked her in the eyes. Thea always adored her mom for being so calm at all times, even when the doctors told her about her condition. Her mom always saw the good in everyone too, she believed that the evil in the world came from the lack of love, so Thea had been raised to spread joy and love. That changed after they found out about her mom's illness, she realized that no matter how much love you spread, there would always be evil.

Thea didn't answer, she just placed her head on her mother's shoulder and awaited sleep to kick back in. I know a few people that certainly would do that... To pretend to do acts of kindness, but behind the charitable facade is the fact that they do it for themselves.