31: Terribly Good News

Thea sat with her head down in her arms as everyone else around her talked and walked past with their food and friends. Thea was invisible, she heard things and she noticed things. People talking crap about their friends, people having mental breakdowns from stress and people being completely stoned. Maybe it wasn't so bad to be nothing but a shadow to people. Thea heard how people sat down around her and she slowly looked up to see the Garcia twins sitting in front of her.

"Luna, Louisa, anything I can help you with?" Thea asked and tried her best not to groan as loud as an elephant.

"No, not really. Have you eaten yet?" Luna asked and smiled.

"Yes. Are you sure you don't want anything?" Thea asked suspiciously. This was unlike the twins, the only time they ever spoke to Thea was for gossip.

"Yes, no, maybe," Louisa answered and smiled an identical smile.

"I can't tell you, I'm sorry, but if I suddenly feel like doing it, you'll be the first ones I tell. I promise," Thea promised and their faces lit up.

"Thanks! See you later, Thea!" they cheered before they got up and left the table with their trays. Thea watched them walk away to sit with their friends, they even walked the same way and swayed their hips the same way.

"Stop checking the Garcias out," Heather said and put her tray down in front of Thea. "I mean sure they got the looks, but if you do or say something unusual, the entire school will know before you do," she said and rolled her eyes.

"What?" Thea asked with a mind too tired to function.

"Never mind," Heather shook her head and impaled a dumpling with her fork. "Vegetarian dumpling?" she offered Thea, but Thea shook her head and declined.

"I have to go for basketball practice, but I'll try to call you later," Thea mumbled and got up.

"You can't avoid me forever, Thea," she said and looked after Thea as she tried to go out of the dining hall unnoticeable. "I know where you live!" Thea heard Heather shout out loud and Thea simply shook her head before she exited.

Thea swung the door open to the court with anxious nerves and walked in. Everyone else were already gathered in front of Damon and they all turned their stares when she walked in. Of course Thea's eyes got drawn to the boys that had created more drama in her life in the past week than she'd have the entire rest of her life. They were sitting on opposite side and both looked at Thea with emotionless faces.

"You're just in time, Smith, take a seat," Damon greeted her with a tired smile. Thea decided against sitting with either boys and sat down in with Hussein.

"Looking great, Smith," Hussein whispered with his voice dripping in sarcasm. Thea elbowed him when Damon wasn't looking.

"I've had a rough day, don't expect me to look like Beyoncé," Thea whispered back and Hussein chuckled quietly.

"What have you been doing then? I mean, except from running away from everything?" he whispered as Damon gave them both a warning glare.

"Alright, let's go!" Damon suddenly shouted and everyone else in the team ran out on the court.

"What are we supposed to do?" Thea asked quickly and got up with Hussein after everyone else.

"I have no idea," he answered and they looked each other in the eyes before they laughed out loudly.

"Smith, Jamal, get started!" Damon shouted from across the court as he threw basketballs out to the other teammates. Thea and Hussein giggled like schoolgirls as Hussein caught a flying ball neatly and they began to do passes. As Thea threw the ball back to Hussein she noticed how both Ethan and Jackson watched them with killing glares.