36: Late A.M Texts

"There's one thing I don't understand," Jackson said and looked over at Thea.

"Just one? Consider yourself lucky," Thea said and giggled. One too many beers had entered her system, but it was Friday night and she didn't have any plans for the next day.

"How did the media find about you and Damon?" he asked and sat up from lying on the kitchen island for a good five minutes. Thea wasn't the only drunk one it seemed.

"I don't know," Thea answered and began to think back to the day it happened. Thea closed her eyes and replayed the scene. I pressed myself against the wall and prayed that it was a dream. Their voices got louder until a nearby nurse turned his head...

"The nurse," Thea said out loud and opened her eyes.

"What?"

"There was a nurse that was walking by, he must've heard them and then leaked it to the media," Thea explained her theory and changed position to sit cross legged on top of the counter.

"That could've been what happened, but what matters now is that they don't create false rumors and bother you," he said and sunk into deep thoughts.

"It wouldn't be the first time," Thea muttered and sipped her beer.

"Hey, it wasn't your fault that Ethan decided to be a complete jerk and play you," Jackson snapped her out of her depressing mood.

"You're gonna need more than that to convince me," Thea smirked, clearly intoxicated and finished the last of her fourth beer. "I'm gonna go and take a shower before my head hits the pillow," Thea said as she felt it was enough for one night and jumped off the counter. She grabbed onto the fridge for support when she landed and slowly stood upright before she left.

"Thea, I'm serious. That guy doesn't deserve your tears."

"Perhaps he doesn't, but I was the fool. Foolish enough to trust him and stupid to think that I was the only star in his sky," Thea answered and looked back at Jackson. The look on his face broke Thea's broken heart even more and she walked back to her room with her thoughts suddenly crystal clear, screaming at her over and over again.

She got undressed before she stepped into the shower and turned it on. She closed her eyes as the water ran down her face and body. But the image that kept coming up when she closed her eyes was Jackson sitting drunk on the kitchen island with a heartbroken look in his eyes. This man is crazy about me. So crazy that he's willing to listen to me suffering without making a move to not overwhelm me. He loves me. But can I love him back? Thea opened her eyes again and reached for the shampoo. She closed her eyes again and moved her hands through her hair. 'She only has a few weeks left, there's nothing we can do. We're sorry.' Thea pushed the memory out and let the foam wash off her hair.

When she was done she stood still in the shower with her heart in a million pieces. The tears kicked in and she cried with the sound of the shower overpowering her sobs.

Thea twisted around under the fresh clean sheets and stared at the clock on the bedside table. The bright red numbers told her it was 03:28 a.m. Thea gave up on sleep and sat up. The beers had completely exited her system and her mind felt clear, too clear to function. I need to call Heather.

Thea dialed Heather's number and waited for her to answer. Thea was going to give up reaching Heather when she suddenly answered with a groggy voice.

"It's Paul," she answered. Thea raised her eyebrows until she realized Heather couldn't see her and went back to a neutral face.

"I don't talk to you for one month and you change your name to Paul?" Thea joked and turned a bedside lamp on.

"Thea?" Heather asked, suddenly wide awake.