20: Novelle Johnson

"Oh yeah, Jack, I also ordered a pizza for Novelle," Ethan suddenly added and looked over at the stove with a playful grin as he jumped up on the counter and sat there.

"Oh, right," Jackson said and looked down on his hands.

"Novelle, she's your girlfriend, right?" Thea asked even though she was well aware that they were a couple. A popular one too.

"Yeah, she'll be here in ten minutes," Jackson said and opened a window to ventilate the scent of burnt plastic still hanging in the air.

"I'm gonna make coffee, who wants a cup?" Thea asked and it was obvious she was avoiding the whole 'Novelle' subject.

"It's in the middle of the evening, what are you gonna drink coffee for?" Jackson asked and opened the pantry. He took out the coffee capsules and threw the oblong box to Thea, Thea neatly caught it and pulled out a cup for herself.

"Exams. I only drink coffee for exams," Thea answered and looked over at Ethan. "Do you want one?"

"Can't, have to get up bright and early tomorrow," Ethan explained apologetically, though he had nothing to apologize for.

"And you?" Thea turned to Jackson, prepared to make a single cup for herself.

"Heck yeah!" Jackson said and leaned back on the counter. Thea grabbed another cup and turned on the machine.

"Last time I checked, finals aren't until the last two weeks of school?" Ethan inquired.

"That's why I'm studying, there are only a few weeks left and time flies," Thea answered as a buzz occurred, and it didn't come from the machine. Thea looked back down as the dark bitter liquid started pouring into the cup. It was Jackson's phone.

"Novelle is downstairs, I'm gonna go get her," Jackson walked out while texting a reply.

"So... how is she? Novelle?" Thea asked once she heard the front door close.

"She's nice, funny, smart-" Oh great, she's perfect then.

"Let's not talk about her, any plans for Christmas?" Thea interrupted and took the cup from the machine. She took a sip before she placed the second mug under it and began the second round.

"I'm going back to the Hamptons again,"  Ethan answered as Thea jumped up on the counter opposite him. Thea grabbed her cup of coffee and took a sip. "What about you?"

"Going back home as usual," Thea took yet another sip to avoid the awkward little tension. She could only blame herself for that, Jackson's words had really struck her and she no longer had any idea how to act around Ethan.

"You have something here," Ethan said and brushed away something on his chin. Thea put the coffee cup down and tried to brush whatever it was away from her chin.

"No, the other side," Ethan said and Thea moved her hand. "Up a bit, too far up, down. I'll just help you," Ethan got irritated at last and jumped down from the counter. He walked over and started scratching off something from Thea's chin, Thea couldn't help but look him straight in the eyes when he did it. He has gorgeous eyes. Stop it, Thea! What? It's true. Just stop it!

"Are we interrupting something?" a sweet, smooth and confident voice suddenly asked. Thea and Ethan both looked to their right to see Jackson with a girl who had to be Novelle. She wasn't just perfect as a person, she looked perfect too.

"No, why?" Ethan asked, clearly confused.

"Oh, nothing, you two just look like you're about to-" Jackson began with a smirk, Ethan knew where he was going and at the same time realized how it must've looked.