Bro Code

Michael Clifford is the sweet, funny boy next door who is friend-zoned by the girl he's liked since the second grade. Hope Taylor is the notorious girl behind the white picketed fence who has held his undivided attention for years. Going into their twelfth year of high school, Michael knows he has to make her his this summer, but was having his best pal, Luke Hemmings, over at the same time as Hope a mistake? Michael's confident that Luke won't break the Bro Code, but only time will tell.

Excerpt:

"How does this place help you write?" I ask quietly.

"It was my favorite spot when I was little," he gives a crooked smile. His fingers trace one of the monsters on the wall. I stare at him as he's lost in his thoughts. "When my parents would yell at me, I would run up here and stay out here all night. I would wake up in the morning with a pillow and blanket; not just once, but everytime. When I come up here now, I look around and think about how good I have it. When I'm stressing over something small, I can look around and let my little kid take over. I know that sounds stupid, bu-" I cut him off.

"It's not stupid. It sounds like something I wish I had all my life," I assure him with a smile.

"The little kid gets creative when the teenager has the weight of the world on his shoulder," he fakes a smile, more for himself than for me. I drop the topic, but his words stick in my mind; the truth that's laced within them is impeccable.

"Play me something?"