Chapter Four

"Hello, Luke," I greet, looking up at him through the bright sun. "It's nice to meet you."

"Oh, the pleasures all mine, babe," he smirks, bending down next to the pool to shake my hand. Something about him just doesn't seem right. He's cocky.

Michael shifts awkwardly beside me as Luke stares at me. Michael slips an arm back around my waist and hugs me from behind; almost like he's letting Luke know he has dibs. I go along with it and lay my head back on his shoulder to take in the sun. Michael seems to like it and hugs me just a little sweeter.

"So, what are you doing here?" Michael asks.

 “I’ve been working on a new song, and I was just coming to see when you wanted to work on it, maybe let you take a look to see if you like it,” he shrugs.

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll come over tomorrow or something, but right now I’m a little busy,” Michael says.

“Good with me,” he says. “She can come too, if she wants I mean,” he smirks down at me. I hate that he’s attractive because we all know it and it makes him less attractive.

 “She’ll probably be busy,” Michael speaks up for me, lying.

“That’s a shame, it’d be kind of cool to have an audience for once,” he says.

“Yeah, what a shame. I always wanted to hear Mikey play, too bad,” I go along with it. I almost want to go because I do want to hear Michael sing and play.

“I guess I’ll catch you guys later,” he says, turning away as Michael and I tell him goodbye.

“How do you know him?” I ask Michael, leaving his arms.

"He's been one of my best buds since like, the third grade," he says. "He used to go to school with us, but when we got to primary school, he decided to go to Westin, and I went to our school," he shrugs his shoulders.

“He was a little cocky. Is he always like that?” I think back to the way he held himself.

“When it’s just us guys, he’s not like that at all. But when there are girls around, he has like this super ego that turns on. Ladies usually love him,” he breaths a breathy laugh.

“Must be the life, man,” I joke, getting closer to him.

“I wouldn’t know, would I?” he smiles.

“No, you’re the loser next door. Sorry,” I say quietly.

"Thanks," he smiles shyly, looking right at me. I look down to his lips and let mine meet his again.

We’re interrupted by the doorbell ringing from the front of the house. I let my hands down from around his neck and watch him swim out. He picks up his wallet from the table and goes inside. I decide to grab a towel and follow him in, not wanting to stay in the heat anymore.

“Thanks,” I hear him saying to the delivery man. When I see him, he’s walking into the living room with the box in his hand. He walks to the kitchen to grab some plates and brings it back to the table in the living room. I sit on the cold, leather couch and try to keep the towel between me and the fabric.

Michael flips open the lid to the pizza and hands me a plate. I offer to go out and get our drinks, but he says he’ll get them. I pick up a slice of the hot pizza as Michael leaves for the drinks. It’s hot, but I don’t mind because it’s so good.

I like being friends with Michael because I'm not afraid to be myself around him. I hate when girls don't eat in front guys. I guess I don't understand why because everyone eats. I grab another slice and set it on my plate. The door opens, and I see Michael carrying all of our stuff in with the drinks in his hands. I quickly get out of my seat to help him.