Chapter Five - PART ONE

I woke up dead tired. I slept some at Michael's, but once I left, I couldn't fall back asleep; my mind kept going back to what happened with him--the kiss. There is a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. The devil is snickering into my ear, telling me to date him, give him what he wants because he's waited. Date him, even if I don't fully understand my feelings. The angel is telling me to stop everything before it goes too far. Stop right now because he's my best friend, and I don't ever want to lose that. Our nine year friendship isn't worth a kiss here and there.

So here I am, unsure of my feelings: the devil or angel, the soft lips or the strong friendship, to try or not, love and be loved or be loved and break a heart. What do I do? 

My thoughts are silenced as footsteps brush up the stair case and echo through the hallway. The light pitter-patter tells me that it's my mother and I can tell she passes her room, which only means that she's coming into mine. My mind wonders what she could want at nine o'clock on a Saturday morning.

"Morning, Michael is downstairs. I was going to send him up, but I know how you like to sleep in barely anything, so I thought I'd check first," she says with a pleasant smile.

"Alright, that's fine. I'm gonna brush my teeth before you send him up," I tell her. She leaves and I make my way to the bathroom.

I shove my hair up into a messy bun and wipe whatever mascara has fallen under my eyes. The mint is a mild change from the soggy morning breath I was sporting around. I hear him coming up the stairs and open my door. I let out a laugh when I see Michael laying in my bed as if he owns it. He is nearly too tall for it, and he looks like a giant.

"Get off my bed, loser," I joke. 

"Nah, it's quite comfortable," he settles in further. "Actually, I may take a nap," he smirks and gets under the covers.

"Michael Gordon, you cannot nap in my bed!" I jump on the bed and try to push him out.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't be able to go to bed here!" he takes my wrists in his large hands, keeping me from pushing him.

"You'll make it smell like a guy," I argue.

"What?! Don't I smell fantastic? Come on! Smell me!" he says, moving me on top of him so I am straddling him.

"I don't want to smell you," I laugh.

"Just one good whiff! You know you want to," he says, trying his best to keep a relatively straight face.

"Fine." I jokingly sigh, "but just one!" I laugh and bend down to smell him, but instead he attacks me and starts tickling me. "Michael! Stop!" I beg between laughs.

"Not until you tell me who smells the best!" he says, moving on top of me, trapping me in his hold.

"I do!" I laugh, wanting him to stop, but giving him a reason not to.

"No you don't! Don't lie!" he laughs. I try to push away his hands, but I can't, he's too strong.

"Say it, and your misery can end," he laughs again. The blanket has covered us now, causing me to get too warm, but I can't shake it off.

"You do!" I give in. "Michael Clifford smells like flowers and fucking hot men! You win!"

"Thank you!" he says with a smile and rolls off of me. "Now, if you don't mind, I have a nap to continue," he says, turning around so I can't see him. Is he seriously going to take a nap? Didn't he just wake up, like literally?

"Michael, it's only like nine-fifteen. Why are you sleeping again?" I pull his shoulder towards me so I can see him. He looks exhausted.

"I didn't sleep at all last night. I woke up when you left and then I couldn't fall back asleep," he says.