Chapter Sixteen

I didn't bother to stop Michael from leading me to his car. It would only make him mad and when he's mad, I get not only mad, but annoyed because he's so stubborn. He opens the door for me and waits until I'm in. I notice that he wait's outside my door for a couple seconds. I look up and he's smirking at Luke who's doing nothing back but staring. What a cocky prick. He put me in his car..? I didn't fight to not come, but I was also on my way to Luke's car. I take a deep breath because I don't want to be fighting with him if I have to spend the rest of the night with him.

I wait for him to get into the car before asking why he was smiling at Luke. His door opens and he falls into his seat. He buckles up then starts the soundless engine. He pulls into the street, still not speaking a word. I decided to speak up.

"So, was Luke telling a joke or something telepathically?" 

He looks over to me, playing dumb, "Excuse me?"

"Why were you smirking at him like you won a prize?" I say, impatiently.

"I wasn't...?" he tried to sound innocent.

"Okay Mike. Okay," I'm not going to bother if he won't. We continued the next couple of minutes in complete silence. It wasn't awkward because..well I don't know why, but it wasn't. 

"Why are you acting so weird?" is what he finally says.

"Me? I'm acting weird?" I asked, shocked.

"Yeah. You just bit my head off for smiling at Luke," he states casually.

"What were you saying earlier?" I ignore his question and go back to what he started to say when Casey was in the car.

"What?" he says, partially serious, but partially wasting time.

"Stop stalling and just tell me. You know I'll sit in this car all night if you don't. Might as well get it over with," I say blandly.

"Fine," he takes a deep breath. I look out the window in front of me. We're getting close to Casey's.

"Well?" I say after he pauses for much too long.

"I just don't understand how you can be so selfish," is all he says.

"How have I been selfish?"

"You go on a date with Luke? A kid you know that I don't like?!" he says, his voice raising.

"I went on a date with Luke because he's a cool guy and seemed interesting. Do you have a problem with that?!" I match my tone to his.

"Fucking yes! Of course I have a problem with that! Are you blind or just stupid?" he hisses.

"Excuse me? Last time I checked, I could do as I pleased!"

"After the kiss in the pool, the hand holding, the party, the movie nights, the goodnight kiss that I considered absolutely perfect, us still means nothing to you?" he says, hurt clear in his voice.

I don't say anything.

"That's what I thought," he says, shaking his head with a broken smile. "The worst part is that I know you have some type of feelings for me. Whether you want to admit it or not, I know you do. Maybe one day, I'll be able to trick them out of you, but ten years is long enough," his voice matches his smile; broken. "I've waited so long. I've been patient and been there for you for as long as I can, and this is how you treat me? Hope, I thought you cared for me enough to know not to do this..?" he looks at me with eyes that break my heart.

"Michael. I.."

"Forget it. We're here," he says. He shuts off his car, slams the door, and hurries away.