Chapter Two

We get to my mom's car, and like usual, Michael takes the front seat, and I take the back seat. He's a lot taller than me, so I figure it's only fair. Our drive home isn't far, but my mom manages to ask every single question in the book.

"So kids, how was your day?"

"Fine," we both answer.

"Miss Mitchell still trying to teach you as you're walking out of the door?"

I laugh, because it's true, "If she didn't, she wouldn't be Miss Mitchell." My mom knows how much I don't like Miss Mitchell. She thought that I was exaggerating for the longest time until she was summoned for a parent-teacher conference. That's something that she's never had to be apart of. It's usually for misbehaved students or students who are failing. Mom said she had to politely remind Miss Mitchell who she was speaking with and about. Probably why she still hates me.

"How'd your grades end up for the year?" she asks, looking at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Straight A's, mom," I answer. "As if they ever change," I mumble under my breath, my mom doesn't hear it, but Michael does. My grades have been straight A's since I was born, mainly because if they aren't my mom will ground me. College, college, college.

"Very good, hun! Michael, what about you?"

"Mostly A's. I got a B in Biology and Algebra 2," he casually tells her.

"That's good!" she tells him, not as impressed with his grades like she was mine.

"What are your plans for today?" she asks him.

"Uh, Hope and I are going to hang around the pool for a while," he informs her.

"Sounds like a good way to start off your summer!" She says, finally stopping the questions. "Oh, Hope," great, here we go again. "Your new suit came in the mail today. I put the box on your bed," she says, looking at me in the mirror again.

"Alright, thanks," I nod and take in the moment of silence that is more than wanted.

The car ride is nearly half over, and I feel like we've already played twenty questions about thirty times. I reach up between the two of them and start finding a radio station to listen to. Once I find the local station, I pull my phone out and get on twitter. Creeping down my timeline, I see Michael's tweet.

@MichaelGClifford: Do the questions ever stop?

I reply: @HopeTaylor: @MichaelGClifford try living with her!

I look up to him in the front seat to watch him get the notification. When his phone lights up and he reads it, he huffs a laugh.

@MichaelGClifford: @HopeTaylor I think I'll pass. Knowing she's my future mother in law is enough ;)

I laugh at his tweet. @HopeTaylor: @MichaelGClifford if we ever get into a big fight, I'll be sure to let her know how much you love her #blackmail.

@MichaelGClifford: @HopeTaylor you wouldn't..

@HopeTaylor: @MichaelGClifford but I would ;)

He turns back to me with wide eyes and a playful smirk. He quickly shakes his head and turns back in his seat.

"Did I miss something?" my mom says, clueless as she watches us. We both laugh.

"No, mom, not a thing," I chuckle, getting out of the car. I start walking towards my house and Michael leaves to go to his. "I'll be over in like twenty minutes!" I yell after him. He shoots thumbs up in the air and goes through the gate.