Chapter Eleven

"Michael..?" I ask as soon as I see him, his face wearing a smug smirk yet hiding a hint of nervousness. 

"Hello, Hope. How are you doing tonight?" he smiles back once again. I shoot him my meanest glare.

"Hey, Luke," I purposely fake a shy smile and go in for a hug. His arms instantly go around my waist and pull me in. 

"Nice to see you again, babe," he says as I pull from the hug. I look to the ground and smile, hoping to piss Michael off. He clears his throat extra loud, making it awkward.

"Michael, so why are you here?" I ask.

"Aren't we all hanging out?" his voice is light, acting like I can't turn him down as he stands in front of me--honestly, I don't know if I can. I'd feel terribly rude, and he knows that.

"Honey, I thought it was a date? Why's Michael here?" my mom says cluelessly from behind me.

"I thought so too.." I say quietly, but I know Michael and Luke both hear me. 

"But, if we're all here, we should all hang out together, right?" his face is now nervous as his hands go into his pockets. Luke's stays quiet, not sure what to say, I assume. He's got his hands to his side as he watches the situation unravel.

"Well, Luke and I had plans..for just the two of us.. Next time?" I give a half smile as I watch his mood fall.

"Maybe.." he says and shrugs his shoulder. I would've invited them in by now, but I don't want Michael to think that he's won.

"Should we go?" Luke says, offering me his hand.

"Yes, please?" I smile and take it. "I'll be home later," I turn to my mom and close the door when she gives me approval. "Good night, Mike," I say and walk past him. I'm mad that he thought he could just show up and get his way.

As we get to Luke's car, he follows me to my side and opens the door for me. I'd be lying if I say I'm not nervous at all. I barely know him, so I'm worried that it's going to be really quiet and awkward.

"Thanks," I say, getting into the car. He jogs around the front and slides in his seat. 

His car is quite the character, but I like it. It's small and old, but not the old, vintage, cool car look. The "this is obviously my first car ever" type of car. As he starts it up, it's loud and roars to life. I stiffen a giggle and look over to him. His cheeks are holding a red tint.

"It's my first car," he smiles, clearly embarrassed.

"I think it's cute," I laugh and mean it. Michael's car is brand new and shiny, my car probably will be as well. I think it's cool that Luke's car has character.

"My mom said she'd get me a better one when I'm a more experienced driver," he shrugs.

"I think you should keep it. It's different."

"Yeah, a hunk of junk is what it really is," he smirks as we head down the street. "So, I think I have a CD that you'll enjoy," he smiles and slides it in his dash.

I hear the familiar tune of one of my favorite bands, The Cab

"This is my jame," I say a little louder than I should've. I start singing to all the songs and I look over to Luke who is smiling in his seat. I can't help but think of Michael because usually he's in Luke's spot and we're enjoying the songs together. It's weird without him, but not a bad weird, just a different weird.

"So, are you curious to know where we're going?" he asks, turning down the music.

"Yeah! I thought it was a surprise though?" I'm not like most of those girls: 'I hate surprises. I hate not knowing where I'm going, it makes me nervous!' I'm just like, girl friend, you gotta shut up and enjoy the fun things in life.