Chapter 1: the Reaping

Tomorrow was the day of the reaping and Meredith Keene was now twelve.  The thought of being picked for the 72nd hunger games scared Meredith. She spent almost all her day sitting on the shore of the beach of district 4. She watched the waves pass and the fish swim and the sun set hoping that It wouldn't be the last time she would see such beautiful things. Meredith was a very happy kid. She would always smile and make people smile, she always felt like she had the best life but, for the past couple of weeks, she wouldn't talk to anyone or smile much. She was nervous scared to be picked for the hunger games. She wouldn't even talk to her mother much and it would get her annoyed since she was scared to lose her only daugther. Meredith didn't want to go home, she just wanted to stay on the beach forever or until the reaping. She made herself a small fire, something her father taught her to do before he died two years ago when she was only ten. She sleeped on the beach and was woken up the next morning by the seagles and the bright sun. She knew that she needed to go home and get reading for the reaping but she didn't want to. She even taught about walking into the water and swim until she was to tired to continue, maybe find somewhere new where she wouldnt need to be scared to get selected in a killing game.

It was soon time for the reaping and Meredith made her way home. She walked inside and found her mother panicking

  "Mere! Where have you been? you need to get ready, the reaping is soon" Said Meredith's mother in a hurry.

She pulled out a bright yellow dress and threw it at Meredith. She pulled it over her head and looked in the mirror. She untied her light brown hair and let it fall down her shoulder's, it was quite long.

  "Why do people need to dress up nice for the reaping?" Asked Meredith has she put some shoes on

  "Well, there are cameras and if you get picked everyone will see you and you don't want people seeing you looking like a slob" answered her mother

  "Do you think I'll get picked?"

Her mother stopped what she was doing and stared at her daugther

  "I hope not" She forced a smile and kissed Meredith on the forehead "Now it's time to go, you don't want to be late"

Meredith and her mum walked out of the house and made their was to the reaping. Meredith was very nervous, seeing all those other girl's and boy's scared some even crying, begging to their parents not to let them go but, they didn't have a choice. After Meredith got her finger pricked, she was now standing in the crowed of girls who where seperated from the boys. She looked around where the boy's where to see if she was able to spot her friend but couldn't seem to find him. So many things where going through her mind, she wondered that maybe if she got picked, someone would volunteer in her place. It wasn't uncommon in district 4. It happened last year with this girl that Meredith knew, she had gotten picked but someone had volunteered for her. People where talking here and there but it soon went quiet when a lady from the capitol appered on the stage wearing a very blue outfit and a lot of makeup. Meredith found she looked like a blueberry, she never really understood the capitols sence of style.

  "Welcome district 4 to the 72nd hunger games reaping" Started by saying the blue escort "Has you all know, one boy and one girl will be picked to fight in this years games, usualy it's girl's first but lest change it up a bit this year, lest start with the boys"

The blue women walked over the reaping ball and drew a name

  "Cress Greenlake" She pronouced with a smile

A tall blond boy walked over to the capitol women and shook her hand, he didn't seem scared or anything.

  "Now for the girls" Said the blue women has she walked over to the reaping ball.