Chapter 10: Saved

Jack ran has fast has he could with Meredith on his back. They were finally able to get away from the flames but they were still able to hear Agrippa's voice calling for Jack. Jack ran has fast has he could but he started to slow down, he started to get really tired and the weight of Meredith on his back wasn't helping.

"Just leave me and run" Meredith said to Jack

"What! No!" Jack answered

"Im slowing you down, you have more chances of making it then I do, just leave me behind and run" Meredith begged Jack

"No!" He said again

Meredith started to kick Jack with her good leg and tried to jump off his back but he held her tight so she wouldn't fall off.

"Let me go! Let me go! Let me go!" She repeated over and over again, but Jack didn't

Meredith finally gave up and let Jack carry her. Jack did not once stop running, he ran non stop for so long that it was now night. Agrippa's voice died down and the foot steps of him and is gang running after us did has well. Jack finally stopped running and put Meredith down. Her leg was still really hurting her and Jack could see that. He started to look around for some weeds that could help her leg heal or something. Has Jack searched, Meredith leaned on a tree and closed her eyes to rest a bit since she was very tired. Jack finally came back with some herbs, he crushed them in his hands and put it in mine.

"Eat this, it will help for the pain" Jack said

I opened my eyes took the herbs and stuffed it in my mouth.

"Thank you" She said and forced a smile

"No problem" Jack smiled back and sat next to Meredith.

It was pretty silent for a while, Meredith tried to fall asleep but she couldn't. Has for Jack, he couldn't sleep either, he hadn't slept for more then an hour ever since he got in these games, to paranoid and scared to get killed in these games. He looked over at Meredith and wondered what would happen to her, if she would die or not. Jack didn't want to die but he knew if he didn't Meredith would. He wasn't sure what to do really. He told himself that he had to keep her alive, make sure she lived since she was so young. That thought made him accept death, it helped him be less scared and that was what he needed. He needed to accept the fact that people were going to die and that he was going to be one of them.

The next morning, Meredith woke up to see Jack sharpening a stick with a knife. Meredith tried to stand up but just fell back down, her leg was too weak but at least those herbs worked and she didn't feel has much pain has before. When Jack saw her attempt to get up, he dropped his things and went to see her.

"Hey there Meredith, you okay?" Jack asked concerned

"Yeah fine" She answered

"Still can't walk on it can you"

"Nope"

"Wait here I'll be right back"

Jack flashed a smile to Meredith and went to get something. It was this very large stick he had found and gave it to her.

"You could use this to walk, like a cane" Jack said

"Huh thanks" Meredith smiled.

Meredith took the stick and used it to help her up. She stood on one leg and leaned on the stick, she was able to stand up. She smiled at Jack and he continued to sharpen that other stick. Once done he gave me the knife.

"How good are you at fighting?" He asked

"Not very good, especially with a broken leg it doesn't help" Meredith answered

"Okay look, I drew a circle on that tree over there, I want you to throw the knife in the center of it" Jack explained

Meredith knew she wasn't going to get it but she tried anyway. She was sure to not even hit the tree but to her surprise she did. Jack smiled at her and went to get the knife and gave it back to her and told her to try again. Meredith threw it again and this time she got it in the circle. Even if it wasn't in the middle she was proud of herself and so Jack.

~*~

Back in district four, Meredith's mom watched the games with Meredith's friend Dylan who was has nervous has her. Mrs. Keene was so scared for her daughter, she just wished for everything to be over. Dylan felt the same way, Meredith was his best friend and one of his only friends. He hasn't talked to anyone ever since Meredith got picked for the games and every time someone tried to talk to him he wouldn't answer or would just grunt. He was so upset that she was in there. If he could've he would've volunteered in her place, but that's impossible.

"What is that boy doing? Teaching my daughter to kill" Cried out Mrs. Keene

"Its for the best" Dylan said

"For the best! He's turning her into a murderer" Mrs. Keene was outraged

"It's killed or be killed what don't you get! Can't you just appreciate that someone is trying to help her!" Dylan ended up yelling

Mrs. Keene didn't say anything since she knew that Dylan was right. Jack was the only person who really tried to help Meredith and who seemed to care for her and Mrs. Keene was great full for that she just hoped that if it did come down to only Jack and her daughter that Jack wouldn't brutally kill her and maybe sacrifice himself for Meredith. Dylan on the other hand wasn't so sure about that, after seeing all of the previous hunger games no one ever sacrificed themselves for an ally, the weakest one would usually be killed in their sleep on in a fight to the death and it showed that Jack was much stronger then Meredith and if they did fight Meredith would lose.

Dylan and Mrs. Keene watched has Jack thought Meredith to throw knives and she seemed to get the hang of it. After a while they started to move again since they knew it wasn't safe to stay in the same place for a long time. Meredith walked very slowly because of her leg and it started to hurt again. Jack wanted to carry her but Meredith refused, she had to learn to force through the pain. Dylan hated watching Meredith in pain, it hurt him too. Has he forced himself to watch the games something happened he started to hear the voices of those tributes who were after Jack and Meredith. Mrs. Keene started to freak out and put her hands over her eyes but Dylan kept on watching.

Jack had put Meredith on his back and ran has fats has he could but Agrippa and his gang caught up. Agrippa took Meredith and pulled her off Jack's back. He threw her towards Cress, the other boy from district four who was holding a sword. He pinned her down and put the sword to her neck. Agrippa then smirked at Jack has the other circled him. Dylan was freaking out watching this, he wanted to jump into the games and save them but he couldn't, and he couldn't keep watching either. He got up from the chair he was sitting on and left Mrs. Keene's house. If Meredith was going to get killed he didn't want to see it. If this was the end, he didn't want to know about it either.