Chapter 19: Silence

It's been weeks since Meredith was back at district 4. She hoped and thought things would come back to normal but it hasn't. Te capitol would keep on checking in on her with cameras to know what she's been up to. Meredith feels stuck, stuck in a life she doesn't want. She doesn't want all the attention, she just wants to be a normal kid.

Lately, people kept on asking her questions about how she did it and wanted details about the games. Since district 4 was a career district, some of the future volunteers would come to see her. Meredith did her best to avoid human contact, she'd rather be on her own.

Meredith would spend most if her time at the beach shore. Dylan would go and see her everyday but he realized she changed a lot from the day she got back. Meredith stopped talking, she said sometimes a couple of things must most of the time she would stay silent. Dylan would try to talk to her but has the days went by she said less and less. Even if she wouldn't talk, Dylan would still talk to her thinking maybe one say she would say something. It was the afternoon and the sun was setting. Dylan made his way to the beach where he knew he would find Meredith. She sat down gazing at the water and sun has Dylan sat down next to her.

"Hello" He said

No answer

"Haven't seen you around, where you here all day?" Dylan asked

No answer

"Anyway, I thought you would like some company" He continued

Dylan went on and talked about his day and what he did. He tried to ask questions to see if Meredith would say something but she didn't, she didn't even look at Dylan, she just kept on looking at the water. He wished he knew a way to snap her out of it. He knew that she's been through a lot but her quietness drive him crazy. Before the games, Meredith was a ray of sunshine. She would always be laughing and talking and smiling but now, she's so different.

The sun finally set and all you could see where the bright stars is the sky has you listened to the waves crash onto the shore. It started to get cold so Dylan went to find some good fire wood to make a fire. It wasn't so big but at least there was one. Meredith was shaking, she was really cold but refused to move. Dylan decided to take off his big sweater and put it on Meredith so it could keep her warm. Dylan wasn't expecting on going home early tonight since he would stay with Meredith and she would usually stay at the beach until morning.

It was about 2 o'clock in the morning when Meredith has finally fallen asleep on the sand. Dylan took out the fire and picked Meredith up and brought her back home. He walked into her house and brought her inside her room. Dylan undid Meredith's bed and tucked her in. He didn't leave straight away, he watched her sleep to make sure she was okay. He stayed for about an hour until finally going back home.

Meredith woke up very late that day. The sun was beaming in her eyes has she tried to adjust to the light. She got out of bed and changed her clothes and tied her hair up into a pony tail. Meredith walked out of her room and into the kitchen where her mother was sitting reading a book.

"Good morning Mere" Smiled her mother

Meredith didn't say anything but make a small noise with her mouth. She sat down at the table and her mother got up and brought her a plate of eggs.

"They got a little cold, but they are just has good" Added Mrs.Keene

Meredith picked up her fork, took a few bites and just ended up playing with her food. Mrs.Keene let out a loud sigh.

"You need to eat" she said

Meredith push her plate away but her mother pushed it back.

"You haven't eaten all day yesterday and your not getting away with it again." Mrs.Keene said

Meredith picked her fork back up and finished her plate of eggs very slowly. Once finished, she made her way out of the house and back to the beach shore where she would stare at the waves. Everything was all so peaceful and beautiful, all Meredith wanted to do was sit here for the rest of her life. A hand suddenly made it's way onto Meredith's shoulder. She jumped on her feet and started to yell and push the person away.

"Get away from me!" He shouted

"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay, it just me Meredith, it's Finnick" Said Finnick's soft voice has he grabbed her arms so she would stop pushing him and hitting him.

Her heart beat started to slow down has she realized she was safe.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" Meredith murmured over and over again has she crouched into a little ball.

Finnick bent down and put his arm around Meredith, who was now shaking.

"It's okay Meredith, your safe here, no one will hurt you here" Finnick whispered to her

This happened a lot when people would arrived unannounced. Meredith would have a panic attack afraid someone would try to kill her. It took about ten minutes for Meredith to fully calm down again.

"Are you okay?" Finnick asked

All Meredith did was nod.

"You know, Annie went through something like this too. She was dramatized after her games, she even stopped speaking for a while but after sometime he got better and her right sense of mind came back" Finnick explained

Meredith didn't say anything has usual. She just turned her head to look at Finnick. She just wished she could out the games behind her and be herself again. This angered her, why did she need to be like this.

"That friend of yours, Dylan, came to see me recently. He's worried about you. I explained to him that you just needed some time. You're lucky to have such a good friend." Started Finnick "I just want you to know, do whatever you can to stay close to your friends, that's all you have now, and they are the only ones who can help you get through this"

Finnick got up and left Meredith at that. She watched him has he left the beach shore. Meredith started to feel bad. All she's been doing was, in a way, pushing Dylan away from her. She stopped talking to him, barely listened to what he had to say. She didn't understand how he was still able to stick around her. How he would still go see her everyday at the beach and stay with her until she fell asleep. Meredith got up and started to make her way to the village. She knocked on Dylan's door and moments later he opened it. He didn't say anything surprised to see Meredith since she never came into the village anymore.

"Hi, Dylan" she murmured.

Authors note: I know this chapter is a little shorter than usual but I wanted to finish this chapter in a certain way. Anyway I hope your enjoying. Please give me some feedback about what you think and what you think I should do to make my story better. Have a nice day :)