Chapter 9: Mercy

The girl from district 10 jumped on Meredith and pinned her to the floor. Took out a knife and held it at her neck. Meredith struggled to get loose but it was no use.

"Time to die little girl" laughed the girl from district 10

"Eva stop! Don't kill her she's only twelve" Teresa, the girl from district seven shouted.

Eva didn't let Meredith go, she was still holding her with the knife at her neck.

"Let her go" Teresa said once again

Eva loosened her grip and took the knife off Meredith's neck. She didn't look to happy, Eva had the taste for blood and she was disappointed not to kill today.

"Tell me why is it we aren't killing her" Eva said angrily

"She's only twelve" protested Teresa

"Yeah so, have you forgotten the point of these games" madly said Eva "look at her, she's helpless, she'll die anyway better if we make it quick cause I know some people here who wont"

At those words Meredith felt scared but she felt like Eva right, she was going to die anyway, there was no chance she was going to be the winner of these games and she was sure that Cress and his gang of allies would love to kill her and they wouldn't make it quick.

"Exactly, she wont make it anyway, so why kill her, lest just go" Teresa said

Eva didn't move she kept her gaze on Meredith and then turned back towards Teresa. Eva finally let her go completely and her and Teresa walked away. Meredith's heart was bitting rapidly, she couldn't believe she actually got put of dying. She was lucky, very lucky but she knew that her lucky would soon wash away and she would be dead. Se wasn't so scared about it anymore since she accepted it. Meredith kept on walking through the rain forest, it was hot and she was getting very thirsty. She opened the bag she had gotten from the cornucopia and took out the small water bottle she got. She took a couple of sips. She didn't drink all of it since she had to keep some. Meredith kept on walking, she didn't know where to but she just walked hoping not to run into anyone else.

Has the night came, so did hunger. She hadn't eaten much so she opened her bag and got out those grains. She put them in a pile in the corner and made a little trap to catch an animal. She sat leaning on a tree and waited hoping for a animal to come across her bait. She waited and started to drifted into sleep. When she realized it, she started hitting herself.

"Stay awake" Meredith said to herself.

She told herself that a couple of times but since she was so tired there was no stopping the sleep absorbing her. Her eyes closed and she fell into a dreamless sleep.

Meredith awoke minutes later my a loud noise. She jumped on her feet and looked around. It was dark so she couldn't see anything. She started to hear some sort of growl. Scared, Meredith backed away from the sound but it followed her. She tried to focus on what was there. Meredith wasn't sure what she was seeing, it looked like some type of alligator, but it wasn't. One thing was for sure it was big scary and hungry. Its big glowing red eyes followed Meredith. She didn't know what to do so her first instinct was to climb up the closest tree. The alligator was trying to climb up but couldn't.

Tears of fear started to run down Meredith's face, she was never so scared. She didn't want to be alligator food. Meredith stayed up that tree hoping for the Alligator to give up and leave, but it didn't. She didn't sleep, she couldn't she was to scared to fall down the tree and into the animals mouth. When it was finally morning, she was able to see the beast. It was much bigger than what she had imagined. Meredith only had two choices. Either jump out of the tree and make a run for it or try to kill it with that small knife she had. Meredith decided to try to make a run for it. She slowly started to climb down the tree when she heard a loud noise. She turned her head to the source of the sound and saw that half the rainforest had caught fire and tree's where falling.

The fire was getting closer and closer to her and she had to act fast. Meredith jumped out of the tree and ran towards the burning forest. She had no other choice since the alligator was blocking the other way. Has she ran, she realized that it was following her, this animal really didn't what to let her go. Meredith ran and ran when a tree fell. She tried to dodge it but it fell on her left leg. It didn't get crushed since most of the weight of the tree was getting lift by this rock. Meredith tried to pull her leg out but it was to stuck. The fire was making her hot and the alligator was getting closer. This was it, she would either die in flames or eaten by an alligator.

She pulled and pulled but her leg just wouldn't unstuck. She was now crying, the alligator was a couple of feet away. Meredith closed her eyes expecting the worst. She was able to hear the loud noise the alligator was making and the noise of the flames burning. But suddenly, all she could hear was the sound of the flames. Meredith opened one eye and saw the Alligator was gone. She smiled in relief but it soon vanished when she remembered she was still stuck. Meredith then felt a pair of hands grab under her arms and pull her. Her leg slipped out from under the tree. She was down dangling from the person's shoulder has the person ran away from the fire. Meredith didn't know who it was and was scared it was maybe Agrippa the boy from district two.

"Let me go! Let me go!" Yelled Meredith

The person put something in Meredith's mouth so she wouldn't make another sound. Once they where out of the forest fire, the person put Meredith down and she spit that thing out of her mouth.

"Jack!" She gasped when she realized who it was

"We always seem to be at the same places" he smiled.

Without even realizing it, Meredith was hugging Jack. He didn't do anything thinking it was kind've weird but Jack then smiled and put his hands around her too. She was only twelve after all.

"How did you find me?" Meredith asked

"Well, I was running out of that forest fire when I saw someone stuck under a tree and saw it was you" he answered

"Thank you so much" Meredith cried

"Now come on we need to go. Agrippa, Glaive and the other careers where right behind me before that fire started, we wouldn't want them finding us" Jack said has he started to walk away.

Meredith followed him but she soon fell the the ground. Jack turned around looking worried and helped her back up.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked her

"My leg, I think I hurt it bad" Meredith answered

Jack put his arm around Meredith and helped her take some weight off her leg. It still hurt but at least she was bale to walk.

"Oooooohhh Jack! Come out and play" Both Jake and Meredith heard someone shout.

It was obviously Agrippa's voice and he seemed to be closer then what Jack thought.

"We need to run, now!" Jack said

"But my leg" Meredith added

Jack froze for a moment and the picked up Meredith, put her on his back and he started to run.