Chapter 22: the 73rd Hunger Games

Six months had passed. Meredith started to live her life like it used to be with the occasional nightmare. She and Dylan would spend all of their days at the beach or helping Mrs Keene in the kitchen. Everything went well and Meredith was almost able to forget about the victory tour and the games if it wasn't for the reaping today. It had already been a full year since the 72nd Hunger games. Early in the morning, someone came knocking at the door of the Keene residents. Mrs Keene heard the door and got out of bed to see who it was. She opened it and saw Finnick who let himself in.

"Is Meredith awake?" Finnick asked

"I wasn't even awake" answered Mrs Keene lazily

"Did she not know?" Asked Finnick

"Not know what?" Mrs Keene did not know what he was talking about

Finnick rolled his eyes "she has to get ready to leave" He said

"Leave, leave where?" Mrs Keene asked surprised

"She's a mentor now and today is the day of the reaping. We will be leaving with this years tributes to the capitol" Finnick explained

"Oh my, this must of slipped my mind. I'll go wake Meredith up" Mrs Keene rushed to Meredith's room and slowly entered

Meredith was sleeping peacefully on her bed and Mrs Keene felt bad for needing to wake her up. She shook her gently and her daughter slowly opened her eyes and looked up at her mother.

"It's time to get up" said Mrs Keene

"Why?" Asked Meredith

Her mother explained everything that Finnick had said. Meredith had forgotten about this mentor thing. To be honest she never thought that she would become a mentor to another tribute. In her head it was once the games were over she would finally be able to live a normal life but she was very wrong about that. Meredith got out of bed and got changed into something more appropriate.

"Good morning Mere" Smiled Finnick

"Morning" yawned Meredith

"Okay, it's time to get ready." Finnick said

Meredith hugged her mother and followed Finnick to the hall of justice and walked inside. He brought her in a room and sat her down.

"This will be your first year has a mentor" said Finnick "it's going to be hard. Since it's your first year you might not understand straight away the struggles of it but I assure you it isn't an easy job."

Meredith started to feel nervous.

"You and I will be in charge of helping to get these tributes sponsors and giving them advice" Finnick continued

"I wont be very good at that" Meredith sighed

"Well, you'll need to be" Finnick said to her seriously. "Your the tributes life source. You get them sponsors, you could help pick what they get and when they get it. Mentoring is a very important job"

This all made Meredith even more nervous than ever. She didn't want it to be her fault the district four tributes died.

"Will you be helping me?" Meredith asked

"Well of course" Finnick answered

They kept on talking about it all and how it was going to go down until the reaping started. Both walked onto the stage and sat down on chairs and watched down at the very nervous crowed. Meredith grazed down at Dylan who was looking at her. Her heart was betting fast afraid her best friend would get picked. Meredith was so nervous and in her head that she didn't even hear Juniper speak has she gave her little speech.