Chapter 24: The Letter

Meredith, Finnick, Juniper and the others who worked with the district 4 tributes all wondered what had happened to Serena Atwater after that attack she pulled on Meredith. She hadn't been back at the district four chambers and wasn't at any trainings or interviews, she had just disappeared. Meredith wondered if President Snow had killed her which wouldn't be a surprise if he did but the day of the games she had suddenly reappeared. When all the tributes stood waiting for the countdown, Meredith and Finnick had spotted Serena standing there looking terrified and sick. She was very pale and had scratches all over herself.

  "What do you think happened to her?" Meredith asked Finnick has they watched the game in a public view place with other mentors and capitol people.

  "I don't know, looks like she's been beaten" Finnick answered

  "Beaten yes." Said Juniper who had suddenly arrived and sat next to Finnick and Meredith with a drink in her hands "She has been beaten several times and starved has well. Wasn't fed during the whole time before the games. That's all she deserves anyway, after what she did"

  "No one deserves that!" Spat Meredith

  "Keep your tone down young lady" Juniper said slightly raising her voice

  "Why didn't they just kill her?" Finnick asked

  "Because it wouldn't look good. Of course President Snow wouldn't want Serena's attack to go public and that's exactly what would've happened if she wasn't in the games. People would start asking questions" Juniper explained has she took a sip of her martini.

The countdown what over and the tributes started running towards the cornucopia. Meredith watched Serena Atwater run for the closest bag. She wasn't running fast but was able to get that bag. She ran towards the forest but was pinned down by a district six girl. She threw her knife down at her but missed Serena, who moved away, by inches. The district six girl was then killed by the district 2 boy who had then shot an arrow at Serena who was dead instantly. The boy smirked, took the two bags for the dead tributes and made a run for it. Meredith had covered her eyes had the camera's zoomed in onto the two dead bodies.

  "Well there she goes" Sighed Finnick.

  "What about Salton?" Meredith asked.

She and Finnick looked back up at the screen to see Salton still at the cornucopia trying to get has much stuff has possible. Trying to find the best bag and the best weapons. He looked like a greedy kid at a candy store. He had picked up the crazy looking sword and stared at it with a smirk. A little boy was running away from the cornucopia and Salton ran after him and killed him. He had this creepy smile on his face has he did so. This made Meredith feel so uncomfortable, he looked like some crazy killer who enjoyed death. He then ran into the woods followed by a girl in district 1 who seemed to be in alliance with him.

  "It seems that the Career tributes have separated" Said Cesar Has he and his cohost appeared in a small box on the right side of the television so we could still see the game has they comment.

  "Who know's, either this is a strategy or the Career tributes have not kept their alliance" Said Cesar's cohost

  "Do I have to get Salton sponsors?" Meredith asked Finnick.

  "I don't think you'll really need to help him get any. The capitol's people already seem to like him" Answered Finnick has he looked around.

Many of the colourful haired people pointed at the district 4 boy and many talked about him saying he was a ruthless killer and how much they loved that about him. Meredith didn't understand how these people could be okay with murder which is exactly what these games are. She hated needing to be a mentor and being in the capitol, she would much rater be at home and not watch the games as they just got worse and worse. The Mentor from district 7, Johanna Mason had come to join Finnick and I.