Chapter 18: Home

Meredith was on a train back hime to district 4 with Finnick. She was wearing a cute little blue gowned. She was pretty nervous yet happy she would be able to go back home and see her mother again. Meredith walking into the kitchen section of the train and went to sit at the table with food. She took herself some bread and spread some jam onto it. She ten poured herself some tea and ate. Moments late Finnick came to join her and got himself something to eat has well.

"Happy to be going back home?" Finnick asked

"Yes" Meredith smiled has she took a bite of her toast.

The train ride was long but was pleasant. After a while the train came to a stop, the had arrived home. Meredith and Finnick walked out the train and made their way inside a hall where plenty of piece keepers where. Juniper, her escort who was with them walked over to Meredith.

"Now out those doors" Juniper pointed at the doors that lead outside the hall "there will be all of district four waiting for you"

Meredith swallowed hard, she was very nervous. She made her way towards the door and they opened the sun beaming in her eyes she made her way onto the stage. The sound of applause filled her hears and once she got used to the sun in her face, she was able to spot her mother with her hands clapped over her mouth has she was crying tears of joy. At that sight a couple of tears also fell from Meredith's eyes. She then slightly turned her head to now be gazing upon a very familiar face, Dylan. He had a smile on his face has he waved at her. Meredith smiled and waved back. She was so happy to be alive and back home. She stood there watching all of district four applaud. She turned her head to Finnick who was standing not to fare away and gave him the biggest smile ever. Finnick never saw her has happy has this before.

Meredith and the rest of the district then attended a big feast. Meredith was still not with her mother, she still hadn't spoken to her yet. Meredith didn't care much about the feast, she just wanted to go home.

"Congratulations" said one lady

"Your an inspiration" added another

Meredith forced a smile at every single one of these compliments and they didn't make her fell good at all. 'An inspiration for what?' Meredith asked herself. 'An inspiration for other young children to kill people'. Meredith did not enjoy the feast and barely ate and was happy when it was finally over.

"Meredith!" Shouted a voice.

Meredith turned around to see her mother standing near by with her arms open. She ran straight into them and gave her mother a hug.

"My girl, my little girl is home" She cried out.

"I missed you" Meredith cried has well

Meredith's mother bent down to be at the same hight has her daughter and gave her a smile.

"Do you want to see our new home?" She asked Meredith

Meredith nodded and followed her mother. They made their way closer and closer towards the beach where near by was the victors village. Finnick stood in front of the gate waiting for her with a smile.

"Welcome to the victors village" he told them. "Follow me"

Meredith and her mother followed Finnick towards a very big and beautiful house. He gave the key to Meredith's mother and she opened the door. The inside was has amazing has the outside. It was so beautiful and cosy, nothing compared to their old
Home.

"This is ours?" Meredith asked Finnick not believing it

"Yes" Finnick answered "My house is the one right next to yours so if you ever need me you know where to find me"

Meredith nodded and Finnick took off. Meredith walked around the house and found a bedroom that had to be hers. She walked in and the bed was so big. She jumped on it, it was so comfortable. She then got up and kept on looking around her room. Meredith opened the closet only to find new clothes inside. She pulled out this jacket that was so beautiful. She then took out a top, pants and shoes and took of her blue dress and put that on instead. Meredith then decided to get out of the house and make her way towards the place she's been thinking about for weeks now, the beach.

It was chilly but a good chilly. Meredith sat down on the smooth sand and looked down at the waves crashing on the shore. She missed home so much she had a hard time believe she was even back.

"Good to be back home isn't it?" Meredith turned her head to see no one else but Dylan.

A large smile grew on her face and she hugged Dylan so thigh that he almost lot his breath.

"Is it really you?" She asked

"Who else would it be?" Dylan said has Meredith pulled away.

"I can't believe I'm back home"

"I was so scared I wouldn't see you again"

Meredith didn't say anything, she just looked down at the ground. Dylan knew that maybe he shouldn't have said that. He out his hand on her back and rubbed it.

"Are you okay?" He asked her

"I'm fine" Meredith murmured.

"You know what ever happened in those games you could forget about it. It's over now" Dylan said

Meredith looked at him. Forget, how could she forget, how could anyone.

"It isn't easy to forget Dylan. I saw people die. I killed people. I'd like to see you forget something like that" Meredith said furiously.

"I'm sorry"

"Every time I close my eyes I relive the games. I could see their dying faces in my head. I could see Jack..." Meredith couldn't continue and started to cry.

Dylan couldn't imagine how she was feeling but in way he understood her. He had watched the games, he had seen the thing Meredith had to do to survive and how her allies, friends, died. Dylan couldn't imagine Meredith dying, his only friend. He would probably be has broken has Meredith was at the moment.

"Why didn't you come to say bye" Meredith suddenly said

Dylan's eye brows rose in surprise "what?" He asked

"Before I left for the capitol the day of the reaping, why didn't you come and say bye to me She asked again

"I-I just couldn't believe it was really you. I didn't want to say goodbye because it meant that all of this was true" Dylan explained

Meredith felt bad for being mad at him those few days in the capitol because he didn't go see her. They stayed silent for a while looking at the sun seat on the water. Meredith always thought that district four was the most beautiful district since they had the beach.

"Everything is going to be so different" Meredith sighed

"Yeah, I guess it will be" Dylan added

"I better be heading back home, my mom will be worried" Meredith told Dylan

He nodded and both got up and gave each other a hug.

"She you tomorrow?" Dylan asked

"Same time has always?" Meredith smirked

Dylan smile and nodded and they both made their way back home. Meredith felt bad that she now had a beautiful home yet Dylan still lived in that box he calls a house. She wondered if maybe he could come and live with her and her mom. He was her best friend and Meredith was sure that Her mother wouldn't mind.

She soon made it back home to find her mother cooking something that smelled delicious. Meredith stomach started to grumble and has she made her way to the kitchen she found Finnick sitting at the table.

"I invited him over for supper, I hope it's okay with you" said Mrs.Keene

"Yes it is" smiled Meredith has she sat facing Finnick and her mother put a nice stew on the table with hot bread.

Meredith missed her mother's food or literally anything from home. They ate and had a good time talking and everything, Meredith even forgot all about being in the games for that small time. Meredith was happy to finally be home...