Chapter 13: Swimming

Meredith woke up from her sleep by the sound on a cannon going off, someone had died. Meredith started to count the number of tributes left. She wasn't to sure but there had to be about around half of the tributes dead.

Meredith couldn't wait for this to be over, it already been about twelve days she's been in the arena. So many things have happened, who knew so many people could die in this short period of time. Meredith wondered what would happen if the games lasted to long, would they stop the games, would the games makers killed everyone but one. It was a good question but one thing was for sure Meredith did not want these games to last forever.

The conditions of the rain forest where horrible. It's ironic how it's called the rain forest yet there isn't that much rain and it's mostly dry and hot. Meredith was sweating so much, she just wanted to take off her jacket but she knew that she couldn't because of the poisonous bugs. If they sting you it could be fatal. Meredith tried to get up but her leg started to hurt again. The stuff she would put on her leg would only be temporary. It would stop the pain for a little while but it would start to hurt again after. This meant that Meredith had to be carful not to run out because she if did, she would be in big trouble.

Meredith got her little container out and rubbed some of that cream back on her leg. After about ten minutes she was able to stand up again and put some weight on her leg. Meredith walked around looking for some water. She was so dehydrated, her lips where white, dry and cracked, she looked horrible. Meredith walked for hours trying to look for some fresh water. She did pass by a stream but when she took some water and took a sip she realized it was salt water. She couldn't drink that and she had no where else to go. Meredith looked around and spotted a small camera hidden in one if the trees. Meredith looked into it.

  "Please get me some water" Meredith said hoping that someone would sponsor her.

Meredith kept on walking and soon found herself in a clearing. There where no trees around her and the hot sun was betting on her head. Meredith wasn't feeling well, she thought she was going to faint. So hot and tired, Meredith spotted more water coming for a lake, and this time it was fresh water. Meredith ran inside the water and drank it at the same time. She soaked there for a while, it felt good to fell refresh. Meredith then closed her eyes and put her head under water. She then walked out all wet but she felt much better.

Just has she was going to take off again, Meredith heard some voices coming towards her. Her heart started to beat rapidly, she didn't know what to do or where to go. The voices of these to tributes talking got closer and closer and she was now able to see them. There where two boy's, one from district seven and the other from district five. One of them held a bow and arrow has the other held a bag where there were probably food and water and other supplies. Since they where close, Meredith didn't have any other choice but to run into the water. She tried to make the less noise has possible but it didn't work, the two boys heard Meredith.

  "Hey look it's that twelve year old from district 4" Shouted the boy from district seven.

  "Do you think you could get her with your bow, I don't fell like getting in the water" said the boy from district five

  "When have I missed" smirked the other

The boy from district seven who was named Levy took and arrow and pointed it at Meredith. She didn't know what to do, so has Levy shoot his arrow, Meredith went under water and the arrow missed her.

  "Come on your better then this" said Edison the boy from district five

  "Not my fault she went under water" Levy said angrily

Has those two argued Meredith made a swim for it and swam has fast has her little legs and arms could take her. Has she swam a couple of other arrows came shooting at her but she didn't get hit once and the next thing she knew, she was out of their site and safe for now.

Meredith kept on swimming, the lake seemed endless but she wouldn't stop until she has found land. Meredith was thankful she knew how to swim, and it wasn 't really a surprise she knew how since she came from district 4, the fishing district. Dylan was actually the one who had thought her to swim.

When Meredith was nine and Dylan was eleven, they where fishing by the beach together. Dylan has gotten in the water and started to float around.

  "What are you doing Dylan, we are supposed to be fishing" Meredith said

  "I'm just taking a small brake, whats wrong with that, why don't you come in, the waters great" Dylan smiled

  "No, now come back here"

  "Not until you come for a swim"

  "I said no"

  "Well, if you wont come willingly"

Dylan then started to swim back towards the beach shore. He ran towards Meredith and picked her up and started to drag her inside the water. Dylan was laughing and having a good time but Meredith then started kicking, yelling and was just freaking out. Dylan knew something was wrong so he put her down and brought her back to the shore. Meredith started to cry and sat down on the sand.

  "Sorry Mere, I didn't mean to upset you" Dylan said softly

  "No it's not you" Meredith cried

  "Then what's wrong?" Dylan asked

  "It's just that, I don't know how to swim and I'm scared to go to deep into the water" Meredith confessed

There was a moment of silence until Dylan started to laugh. Meredith looked over at him not pleased with his reaction, how could he be laughing at her right now.

  "Is it funny?" Meredith asked Rudely

  "Oh, I wasn't trying to make fun of you but how do you not know how to swim, your from district four, anyway, it's easy" Dylan said

  "Maybe for you" Meredith replied

  "Here come I'll teach you" Dylan said but Meredith hesitated "don't worry I won't bite"

Meredith finally took Dylan's hand  so he could help her up. They slowly made their way towards the water. Has they walked deeper and deeper into the water, Meredith took Dylan's hand feeling afraid. Once they where in deep enough, Dylan told Meredith to slowly go on her back. She did has he said and Dylan put his hand on her back to make sure she floated and she did.

  "This is called floating" Dylan told her

  "It's so weird, I feel like I'm flying in water" Laughed Meredith

Dylan started to show her easy swimming moves, he stayed by her to make sure she got it right and was okay. Has she swam, Dylan realized that Meredith was a natural.

  "I don't understand what you where scared of, your a natural Mere" Dylan exclaimed

~*~

Meredith ended up finding shore. She was exhausted from swimming she didn't even bother getting up and out of the wet sand, she just laid there for a while. Meredith tried to sleep a bit but her leg started to hurt again and when she took out her contained of that cream, she realized it was all wet and no good anymore, she was in trouble...