chapter 5: Training day

Meredith woke up and soon spotted a uniform on the chair next to her bed, she got up and put it on. It was the training uniform, it was black, red and grey with her district number on it. She looked at herself in the mirror, today was the first day of her three day training and then, death. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and walked out of her room. Cress, Finnick and Juniper where waiting for her at the kitchen table, they had all already eaten. She sat down and Finnick gave her a plate of eggs. Meredith starred at it but did not touch it.

"Come on Mere, eat up you need all your energy for today" Said Finnick.

He knew that she was nervous, she had no more colour in her face. He was the same way when he was in her place, the only difference with him was that he didn't let anyone know that he was scared and nervous.

Meredith ended up eating, once Cress was done trying to look good, they all made their way down to the training center. Juniper wished them luck has Finnick walked them to the door. Cress walked in the training center has soon has they got there has Meredith froze in front of the door unable to take another step. Finnick took her shoulder and got on his knees to be face to face with Meredith since she was really short.

"Listen, it's just training, today all I want you to do is practice some survival skill's okay?" Said Finnick

Meredith nodded

"At the end of the day, you will have a private session with the gamemakers where you will show them the skills you practices and they will give you a rank for 1 to 12. I know it seems nerve raking but just pretend that the only person who's there is me and your just showing me what you can do, okay?"

"Okay" Answered Meredith has Finnick pulled her into a hug.

"Now, go" Smiled Finnick has he tapped Meredith on the back.

She smiled back and walked into the training center. Everyone was in a cercle in the middle of the center, they where waiting for Meredith who was the last one to arrive. Once all there, the gamemakers started to explain how the day would go. They would practice, not only with weapons but also their survival skills. Then they will all go have lunch together and practice again until the private session's. The gamemakers reminded everyone that they where not allowed to fight with each other before the games but, if they want to spar, they could request a trainer.

Everyone soon started training, Cress went straight to the station with weapons. He took a spear and started to practice with it. Meredith went to a corner, to practice making a fire. She was very distracted watching the other tributes practice. This one tribute from district 1 seemed very treatning to Meredith. He was very big and has a lot of muscle mass and was amazing with a bow, he would brag about himself to the others. Meredith didn't understand why he was doing that, wasn't it stupid, wouldn't that just put a bigger target on his back. Meredith continued making her fire, it took her less then five minutes, a new record for her. She didn't do much for the two hours before lunch. She practices making fires and making nets.

Once lunch, Meredith sat alone in a corner eating a sandwich. Cress was socialising with the other tributes making Allies. Meredith wanted to do the same but she was shy and everyone was giving her mean looks like if they where trying to tell her not to talk to them. Everyone was much older then her and she felt really alone, Cress wouldn't even talk to her and he was for the same district, anyway, she knew that he didn't like her much, he taught she was weak and helpless. Meredith observed everyone closely, trying to see if there was anyone she could talk to. She saw this girl who had to be about 16 for district 10 talking to another girl from district 7 who had to be maybe a little bit older. They didn't see to bad so Meredith got up and decided to try to make allies. She sat down next to them and they gave her a dirty look. She soon started to feel very uncomfertable.