42. The Invisible Wall

Misaki POV
(Next Day - In the morning)

I open my locker to put my things away like any other day then check my shoes for any nails or any damages.

To my surprise, nothing was touched. Yet I notice a sealed letter written by someone in my locker. I open the letter and my eyes widen surprised by the message on it.

Your happiness will not last forever.

I fold the letter back and take in a deep breath then exhale.

It doesn't matter. I will overcome everything. I always have. The note just gave me a bit of an anxiety.

I crush the note.

For as long as I can, I will value my happiness with my friends and Tooru. I already know from past experiences that happiness doesn't last forever, but only for a moment.

I walk through the hallway to my classroom and notice groups of girls watching me and gossiping to each other with hostile looks.

The amount of glares and gossip going around has increased. I'm a model so I'm used to it, but for some reason I'm starting to have a bad feeling about all of this.

I shake my head and force these negative thoughts away from my mind. It's just the letter that I received this morning that's making me feel this way. I continuously tell myself.

"Misaki Hoshina!" an unfamiliar voice calls out to me.

I turn around and recognize her as the girl who was waiting for her turn to talk to the counselor about future plans. The girl walks towards me with a smile on her face.

"Who are you again?" I bluntly ask. I don't remember her name.

"Oh you're silly Misaki. My name is Ayumi remember? We bump into each other yesterday," Ayumi winks and she pats me on the back. "It's okay everyone in this school knows you. Especially now since you're dating Tooru-kun~" she comments.

I slightly frown from her over friendliness. I could tell she's acting fake but what's bothering me more is how she's calling Tooru by Tooru-kun.

"Yes, we are dating," I answer knowing slightly annoyed about how she added -kun to Tooru's name.

"You don't need to be so formal with me," she laughs. "After all I am his ex-girlfriend." She says with a smug smile.

I don't waver from her direct words. Tooru is a handsome boy so of course he could've had a girlfriend.

"If you're trying to provoke me then it won't work. Your relationship is all in the past. Right now I'm the one dating Tooru," I state and start to walk ahead of her.

Ayumi giggles. "I don't need to provoke you. Believe it or not but the two of you will break off on your own." She calmly states and I stop.

"What are you talking about?" I turn around and the tips of her lips turn up.

"You're full of secrets aren't you Misaki?" Ayumi shrugs and I keep my guard up.

"What are you talking about?" I ask her again and she smiles.

"I'm sure you know very well of what I'm talking about," she responds back.