44. Torn Apart

Misaki POV
(In the school infirmary)

I rest my knee on the bed to ease the pain. I close my eyes and breathe in then breathe out.

Iwaizumi carried me all the way to the infirmary with Mihane tagging along beside him.  

I don't know how Mihane and Iwaizumi happened to find me at lockers but I'm glad they did.

I watch the two of them discuss something to each other in a quiet tone outside the infirmary room. I don't need to read their lips to know that they're talking about me. 

After the two of them finish their conversation, they come into the infirmary with concerned looks on their faces. 

"How's your knee?" Mihane asks me and I look at my knee that is no longer throbbing of pain.

"It's fine," I respond back not going into too much detail with Iwaizumi around.

"Misaki... what happened out there?" Iwaizumi asks me as he takes a seat near my bedside.

"Those girls just happened to be there and wanted to start a fight with me. Nothing else," I vaguely answer and Iwaizumi stares at me knowing that I'm trying to hide the truth from him.

"I know it's more than that. You can't hide the truth from me," Iwaizumi says and glances at my knee. "When I saw you, you were tightly holding onto your knee in pain."

"Iwaizumi..." I already know that he wants to know the full truth. I can't hide much from that guy once his suspicions arise. "Iwaizumi promise me that whatever I tell you now, you will not discuss to anyone else and you will not tell me what to do in my situation."

"... I promise," Iwaizumi hesitantly answers and I sigh realizing that I have no choice but to tell him.

"I have a severe meniscus tear on my right knee," I state. Iwaizumi's eyes widen and Mihane quietly nods her head already knowing the situation.

"Severe meniscus tear... how serious is the meniscus tear?" Iwaizumi asks surprised and I bite my lip.

"I've been trying to do physical therapy for two years, but there have been no improvements. As a result I'm planning to have surgery after my third year in high school, but it will most likely be sooner depending on my next check up with the Tsukinose hospital," I explain.

"A meniscus tear should normally heal on its own," Iwaizumi mumbles staring at my knee. "What caused it to be so badly damaged?" Iwaizumi innocently asks and I flinch. 

....

"Iwaizumi two years ago when I moved... I didn't go to Niiyama Joshi, but Fukurodani Academy," I tell him and his eyes widen.

"What do you mean by that?" He questions and I tightly grab onto the sheets.

I gulp and force the next words out of my mouth. "The reason why I had to attend a different school was because I got into a car accident with my mom and dad. On that day, my parents died and my entire right knee was severely damaged," I explain and stare down at my knee. "I'm lucky that my knee works but my muscle was teared. I didn't know how bad the condition was at the time and thought physical therapy would be enough but it couldn't be healed naturally. They told me that I needed surgery for my knee or else my knee won't properly function."