62. A Second Battle

Misaki POV
(Match ~ Aobajousai vs Niiyama Joshi ~ Set 1)

I wipe off the sweat from my face and get ready for our opponent to serve.

Set 1: Current score 23-19

Trying to get the first set has been a challenge. Niiyama Joshi flows perfectly as a team. It's one thing for the team to have a perfect offensive, but to be able to maintain a good defense. They're not a team to mess with.

But it's not like I was ever underestimating them. For the past two years, Niiyama Joshi have gone to Tokyo Stadium and they have gotten as far as the top 8.

I take in a deep breath in and exhale out as I wait for the serve. I glance over to Chiharu who's standing in front of the net. Chiharu acts like she doesn't care about her opponents and only wants to win, but I could tell that she's playing better from before.

Chiharu's spikes are more precise and powerful. Not to mention how annoying of a blocker she is. Chiharu definitely has a reason to be #4 in the nation. It's not just her though, the flaws in her plays can be easily fix by her team. Her team is a whole different challenge especially the captain and the setter that's around her.

Our opponent serve the volleyball and Mihane receives the volleyball. I immediately goes into position and toss the volleyball to Riko.

Riko spikes it, but their libero is ready to receive the volleyball. Riko slightly frowns in annoyance and their setter immediately goes into position. I watch their setter toss it to their captain and I jump up as high as I could to block it.

Calculating the captain's thought, I block in a way that their captain has no choice but to spike to the libero. Their captain's eyes widen in realization and has no choice to spike.

"It's up!" Riko shouts and I get into position. I check my surrounding and I swiftly toss the volleyball to Yui.

Yui spikes it with all the power she has and the score changes to 24-20.

Our opponent serves the volleyball and Haruhi receives the volleyball. I get in position to toss the volleyball and toss it to Akari. Their blockers are all ready to block the volleyball and when Akari spikes the volleyball they block the volleyball.

I watch the volleyball head to the back of the court. Crap!

I try to run but my knee stops me. Tch! How am I --

Mihane immediately sprints for the volleyball and dives down for the volleyball. "It's up!" She shouts.

I go into position and I check the people around me. The blockers are already surrounding every player. I've been passing the volleyball to Yui and Akari a couple of times already. If that's the case then... I toss the volleyball to Haruhi.

Haruhi cleanly spikes the volleyball to the corner and our opponents fail to receive it.

"Oooohhhhh! Seijou!" The crowd cheers. "Seijou!"

"Hm~ trying to start off with the first set," Chiharu says with a cocky smile. "I guess someone want to at least get one point before their knee starts to take the toll."

A competitive smile forms on my face. "Don't count in it"

(Match ~ Aobajousai vs Niiyama Joshi ~ Set 2)