43. Burden

Misaki POV
(A week later ~ in the morning)

I stand in a black space and see Tooru standing in front of me.

"Tooru," I call out to him. I walk over to him, but he starts to walk away. 

I sprint as fast as I can. "Tooru!" I cry out to him. I take his hand but he pulls his hand away from me and he stares at me with cold eyes.

"Misa-chan you broke our promise and lied to me. Don't ever get near me again. I hate people like you," he states and my eyes widen from shock.

"Tooru what are you-- Tooru!" I cry out tears streaming down.

I wake up from my nightmare in bed with the alarm clock ringing and tears streaming down my face.

Everything Ayumi said bothered me because it wasn't wrong. I am lying to Tooru. I haven't told him that I didn't go Niiyama Joshi under the scholarship that I was given in middle school but went to Fukurodani Academy instead. I didn't tell him about the car accident that killed my parents and damaged my knee.... I didn't tell him that I might not be able to keep our promise to being the best setters in Japan a reality.

He can't be with girl that broke his heart once. He will eventually break up with you on his own. After all if you continue to lie to him while being in a relationship with him, you will only break his heart more. The girl he loved will break his heart once more.

I shudder as her words repeat in the back of my mind.

When Tooru confessed me, he told me that he liked me ever since we were kids and if it's true then Tooru was heartbroken because of my sudden move in middle school.

I stare at my bedroom ceiling. It's my fault he started to feel insecure and started to date many girls...

Tears start to fall. I might hurt Tooru if I'm with him again. I don't want him to be heartbroken again because of me yet I don't want to leave him.

I'm sorry Tooru, I'm so selfish.

I wipe my tears away and stare at the picture of Tooru, Iwaizumi, and I after the middle school awards ceremony. The time when we were young and happy. If only we could stay happy forever.... but reality isn't like that at all. I get up off of bed and feel a jolt of pain from my knee.

"Tch!" I tightly hold onto my knee until I feel the pain disappear.

Life is a mess.

I get myself ready for school and stare at myself in the mirror. I haven't talked to Tooru much. Tooru sent a couple of text messages to me and asked if I was alright, but I only gave him vague responses. Whenever we were together I always kept my distance from him. I couldn't even hold his hand.

I clench my fists. I need to get stronger. I need to endure my pain and smile for him. I want to make him happy.

Tooru POV
(In the morning - At school)

How am I going to make Misaki smile today? I think to myself as I head into the 3rd years building.

Misaki has been avoiding me for a week and putting a distance between us.