Opposite Forces

It was never in his life plan to attend the date that he won for Kris' time, because, frankly, Baekhyun had no interest with eating lunch with the basketball captain. He already ate lunch every day with one basketball player and he didn't need another one. Not only was it a waste of time for him, but Chanyeol had grown enough of a backbone to openly express his opposition of how Baekhyun shouldn't bother with "a guy like Kris".

With no implications attached, Baekhyun loosely asked, "Why does it matter so much to you?"

"Because I'll get jealous and may have to force myself to become an awkward third wheel."

Despite the fact that it was never in his plans, Baekhyun found himself in the courtyard along with the others who had won a bid during the festival. It took a few minutes for everyone's "date" to make an appearance, but within minutes, Baekhyun felt someone tap him by the shoulder. With no questions or words exchanged, he let himself be escorted to a nearby sitting area by the tall, looming basketball captain.

Taking a literal interpretation of the promise to "eat lunch" with the bids, Baekhyun kept his voice to himself and never spoke to Kris other than to answer some questions to general topics. He merely ate his food in silence and kept his gaze as far from the man's eyes as he could. Nothing interesting spewed from Kris' mouth, which made it easier for Baekhyun to avoid a budding conversation. However, fifteen minutes into their tense and quiet afternoon together, the basketball captain looked off at the other couples around them before putting his attention back on the brunet.

"Baekhyun, I think you have an admirer over there," he said, pointing in a direction.

With his curiosity jerked, Baekhyun lifted his head only to see the face of a boy meters away with underlying jealousy in his eyes.

"You don't seem to like me very much if you're this quiet and unwilling to talk to me," Kris said as he grinned and put a hand on Baekhyun's shoulder. Unknown to the looming captain, Baekhyun hated to be touched in such a way, and it took everything in him not to pull back for the sake of sparing the male the awkwardness. "Everyone on the team knows he has a thing for you. No offence, but to be honest, no one understands why. You two are just...well, you know."

The statement came to no surprise for the brunet, but Baekhyun didn't like the implication that Chanyeol's own team questioned his interests. It bothered him to such an extent that he finally looked up to meet Kris' eyes rather than drawing them back. "I'm also confused about his interest and reasons," he lied despite Chanyeol's heartfelt confession during their accidental date at the cinema. When he saw that Kris had assumed his own statement hadn't offended, Baekhyun casually asked, "Do you know if he's doing this because he lost a challenge or some sort?"

Kris shook his head. "Chanyeol's not that kind of person."

Judging from the blatant fact that Chanyeol's own captain confirmed Baekhyun's gut feeling that the giant had no underlying motive because it wouldn't have paralleled with his sincere personality, Baekhyun had no choice but to step towards the reality of Chanyeol's interest in him being completely pure and done on his own accord. It threw him off his axis wondering why Chanyeol had chosen him out of every other person more qualified for someone of his stature.

Thinking about it was bothersome. It always had been. Baekhyun couldn't understand why the thought of dating someone like Chanyeol stressed him to a point where he couldn't handle it anymore. With no warning, he set his half-eaten bento box down on the table and stood up, startling Kris.

"Sorry, I realized that I, um, I have to go finish something for a class," he muttered lamely knowing full well that it was an unbelievable excuse.

Kris was never given a chance to respond or ask why the brunet was really suddenly leaving. Baekhyun had already walked off the courtyard before he could even open his mouth.