The Color Green

Friday dragged itself along and, beyond his own power and will, Baekhyun arrived at school just in time for the last call for students boarding the large buses. He never paid any mind to the way the teacher scolded him for appearing so late and almost missing the trip, because he wouldn't have cared so much anyways if he ended up watching the large transit prisons haul everyone in his year off to a retreat that resembled Hell.

After handing over his luggage, Baekhyun got on the bus, unsurprised by the lack of seats as everyone else had settled long before he stepped on school grounds. Sighing, he walked down the aisle, ignoring the looks and began looking for a vacant seat, silently praying that it wasn't next to someone he wasn't going to be able to stand. To his luck, he found himself a seat right next to Yixing, the Chinese exchange, who Baekhyun didn't mind. Life, however, believed in the balance of Yin and Yang so Chanyeol was sitting right across the aisle in the aisle seat. And because of the fact that Yixing moved over to the window seat, Baekhyun got the aisle, making it seem as though he and Chanyeol sat right next to each other.

"You made it!" Chanyeol said as he let out a breath of relief when Baekhyun placed his backpack under his seat. "I was texting to see if you were here already because I didn't see you in the crowd before they started letting us on, but you weren't answering."

Baekhyun shrugged before plopping in his seat and giving Yixing a small, friendly smile. Then he turned his attention to the inquiring giant to his right. "Sorry, my phone's dead," he replied. "I went to sleep late and I forgot to charge it."

"Oh." Chanyeol watched the brunet stuffed his hands in the front pocket of his light gray hoodie. He thought that Baekhyun looked a little bored and missing without his usual ear buds. Reaching over, the giant lightly tugged at his neighbor. "Hey, can I tell you something?"

Glancing around, Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a cautious look. "Is it so important that it's going to tempt people to eavesdrop on us?"

Rolling his eyes, Chanyeol shrugged. "No one eavesdrops at this school but you," he teased. "No, actually, I'm thinking about whether or not I have to apologize."

Baekhyun blinked. "What for?"

"Last night."

Knowing that Chanyeol was referring to the incident after the basketball game the day before, Baekhyun held his breath for a moment. "There's nothing to apologize for."

"Are you sure?" Chanyeol continued to prod. Baekhyun studied his features for a while before he decided to look off and reach for the cellphone in his back pocket. "I don't have to apologize for that...thing?"

"What's wrong?" Baekhyun snorted, taking his ear buds from his hoodie's pouch. "Are you repenting for invading my bubble of space?"

The giant smirked, shrugging casually. "Not really, but I don't want us to be awkward."

"How tragic would that be," Baekhyun mumbled as he turned the device on, awaking it from its stand-by mode. "To have you feel as though it's wrong to talk to me? Why, that'd be a nightmare."

"Your sarcasm doesn't scare me."

"It used to."

"I've learned a thing or two since the first time I met you."

"Well, then you'd know when to leave me alone, right?" Baekhyun inserted the headphone jack into the cellular device. Chanyeol watched him as he did so, later catching the brunet's attention and grinning. "What?"

"Forgot to charge, huh?"

Baekhyun's lips curved upwards as he looked away. "Maybe I recalled some sort of false memory."