"Honesty"

Waiting and wishing--hoping-- for things to change was nothing more than a waste of time and missed opportunities.

-

-

Knocking on the door he had knocked on before countless times was, for the first time, nerve wrecking... but the light from Baekhyun's bedroom was lit and Chanyeol felt a burning sensation in his chest that prompted him to proceed. He looked down at his side where his phone was kept between his hands. Unused. Silent. He hadn't sent a single call or message to Baekhyun to let him know of what he was planning to do, mainly due to the fact that he didn't even know himself...

There wasn't a clue in his mind about what he'd say or do. He felt out of place, as if he shouldn't be there in that moment, but he persisted against the feeling.

It was all impromptu. Nothing scripted. He was going on a limb, but it didn't feel so new to him. They had done this pattern several times. Love, fight, and return. It was a cycle, but one that he always hoped to break with every argument...

When the door opened and Baekhyun's face appeared, confused and thrown by the boy in front of him, Chanyeol felt frozen and for a brief moment in time, neither moved nor said a word.

Silence.

Bearable, quiet, calm silence.

Chanyeol swallowed, the nervousness in him was receding but it remained. "Hey," he said in a voice so hoarse and choked, he paused to double check. "I... I um..."

The hand on the door gripped as Baekhyun attempted to regain his static composure. "Chanyeol, what're you doing here? Shouldn't you be at prom?"

What was he doing there? Hadn't it been his entire idea to leave the brunet alone? It had only been two weeks--maybe-- and yet, he still ran to catch the nearest bus; he still ran back to him.

What little pride that he had was choking him, hindering his ability to speak, but in that moment, as he searched the smaller male's eyes for answers--for anything-- he realized that having pride was the last thing either of them needed.

"Yes," Chanyeol replied, firm and strong. "But shouldn't you be also?"

"I wasn't feeling well," Baekhyun muttered, lowering his eyes for a split second. "I decided to come back early."

"What about your date?"

"He's... I don't know where he is." Knowing that if he avoided the giant's eyes too much, it would've seemed like a sign of weakness; as though the feelings of failure would overcome him for being unable to weather through the night with the prom date he chose over his own boyfriend. "But that doesn't matter. It's irrelevant. Why are you here? You never answered the question."

"I'm here because..." Chanyeol stopped. I'm here because of you? It sounded overused and bland, but it was the truth. There was no further explanation. He had a feeling in his gut that urged for him to go after the brunet one last time. His feet seemed to have moved on their own and lead him in that moment to stand on Baekhyun's porch, speechless and rendered silent.

Before the giant could gather himself again, Baekhyun shook his head. "It's late, Chanyeol. Maybe you should go home or go back to your date--"

Just as he was about to close the door, Baekhyun felt a force pushing against it.

"Wait." Chanyeol clenched his jaw. "Can we talk?"

"No--"

The giant pushed a little harder, adamant. "Baekhyun."