7

Calum

I was drifting over the edge the minute he looked up from his phone. Michael had a smile on his face, one that was so bright and full of life that I couldn't ignore the way my heart was beating inside of my chest.

He was so adorable, with the way he smiled softly down at his phone screen and nodded his head slightly to the sound of his music playing through his headphones. I wondered what kind of music he was into. Was he into rock, indie? Maybe he was the kind of guy who listens to classical or acoustic songs. I can see it for some reason.

"Hood."

His voice was so majestic and raspy. It made me feel things that I knew I shouldn't. He seemed pleased to see me though, which made me happy.

" No wonder my grass is dead, all the green is in your eyes. "

I was trying my best at attempting a pick up line for the first time in my life. I'm not the flirtatious type and I most likely never will be, but Mali is paying me money to do this. There are things I want in this world that require cash and this is just going to have to cut it.

Michael's smile faded and his lips curved into a smirk, though I could see that he wasn't trying to come off as cocky at all. His eyes showed fondness and truthfully, I loved that. But he'll never like someone like you, Calum. Stop trying to trap yourself in a box you'll never get out of.

"Look who's grown more confident around me."

"Michael, who is this and why haven't you introduced him to me?" A female commented with her chin in the palm of her hands. Her name was Flora apparently since it came out of the boys mouth seconds later.

"He's my friend. Flora, this is Hood. Hood, this is Flora."

The way her name danced at the tip of his tongue made me feel jealous. It wasn't supposed to happen but I began over thinking the minute he put emphasis on her name. It was like he was trying to tell me something. Maybe they're boyfriend and girlfriend. See Calum, he's not gay like you.

"Stop."

Michael sat there bewildered with furrowed eyebrows while Floras face held no emotion what so ever. She must have been some type of robot living in a human body. What kind of things was this girl accustomed to?

"Stop what?"

I couldn't mention the voices I was hearing inside of my head because I knew he would've judged me, right then and there. He'd find me disgusting and would probably step on me like the pebbles he often kicks when he gets on the bus. He's too pretty for me, and I'm just another paper left to be crumbled.

"We aren't friends."

"Oh, I'd beg to differ," Michael retorted, that same cocky smile showing on his lips. I liked how cocky he was though, it showed a spark of confidence that I didn't have in myself.

"I must be missing something," Flora spoke casually as she flipped through the pages of a book she was reading which just so happened to be a classic, To Kill A Mockingbird.

I still have yet to read that book, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

"Hm?" Michael hummed as he glanced over at the page she was looking at. He was leaning in awfully close. Next thing you know, they're going to kiss and my heart is going to stop beating.

"With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable," Flora spoke softly as she highlighted the words with her pink marker, "it reminds me of the two of you."

Michael's face flushed a crimson red, and it was as if I could see him sucking in his cheeks. He awkwardly coughed and slowly moved away from the girl, pretending that she didn't say anything.

"Why?" I pursed, glancing at her contently as she smiled in satisfaction while running her thumb against the paper.

"Why what?" Flora questioned in return, not showing irritation in her voice at all. She was genuine and full of kindness. Kind of like Michael, but less cocky and ignorant.

"Michael sees you so often that it's become a routine, and if you weren't there for him to see everyday, he wouldn't know how to cope with himself."

Michael coughed once again, this time his eyes going wide and his cheeks turning red out of embarrassment.

"Enough!" He raised his voice loud enough for half of the train to hear, but quiet enough for the two of us to get the message.

"Sorry."

"Well I should get going. I just thought I'd say hello."

"Well that hello turned into something else awfully fast. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing your dead grass now that all of the green is in my eyes."

Dammit Michael, you make everything difficult for me.

I didn't respond, I couldn't. I was growing far too attached too quickly and I barely even knew him. Sure, it is a routine to see him nearly everyday, but we aren't friends. We're acquaintances and that's where it should stay before he breathes too much in my lungs and pulls me into a hurricane that I'll never get out of.

"So, how did it go?" Mali asked with a smile on her face as she per usual tapped away on her phone.

"Great."

"Did you get his number?"

"I don't want it."

I noticed the train was coming to a stop and I also noticed that Mali was looking at me in disbelief. Sure, I was lying to myself but I couldn't let him in my life. He'd find out all of my secrets and hate me if he knew just how damaged I am. Who would want to date someone who's physically and mentally fucked up? Definitely not Michael. He deserves better than me.

"Let's just go to GAD, already."

"Okay, but not before we get something to eat."

I really wasn't hungry, but I'd do anything to keep a smile on my sisters face. Anything.

-

A/N:

1032 words.

I'm thinking about updating again. There were also some ed sheeran lyrics in this chapter if you caught on (;

I love ed sheeran. His music speaks to me man.

No idea who the girl is in the photo but she'll be playing Flora.

See you in the next chapter.