16

Michael

"I hope you didn't make any plans for today."

"Maybe I did."

"And what would those be? Waiting for your sister who doesn't really need to be waited on?" I questioned, crossing my arms as I stared down at the frowning boy. He really needs to stop frowning. It's making me upset.

"Michael, I wait for her because I love her. She's my sister, and I wouldn't just leave her alone no matter how old she is. Besides, I've been sitting here for the past hour by myself, which is considerably a large amount of time that could have been used talking to you if you were here."

"Your point?"

"My point is you need to stop telling me what I should and shouldn't do. I've ditched my sister twice for you. It isn't happening this time."

It was now my turn to frown. I'm honestly trying my absolute best to get Calum to like me but it isn't working out that well. Maybe I seem like a stalker to him, since I show up out of the blue and start talking to him as if I wasn't somewhere else a minute ago. I feel like I'm giving the both of us too many emotions, since I'm starting to fall for him and it hasn't been that long, and he's both annoyed and friendly which doesn't make any sense to me in this case.

"I lowkey just want to spend time with you."

"And I appreciate that, but not now. I'm not making another empty promise to my sister. Her and I haven't been as close since you came around."

"What are you saying?" I asked, trying not to let the pain fill the void that I was attempting to avoid, but it clearly isn't working at the moment.

"I'm saying we'll hang another time, Michael."

"Does this mean we're friends?"

"Sure, friends. Yeah."

I smiled, feeling happy that we're at least getting somewhere and he no longer considers us as close as Strangers. It's been hard dealing with that, but now I can finally get used to something else that doesn't bring me down.

-

"We need to talk."

"Well hello to you too, Luke," I mumbled as I set my work attire down on the couch. I thankfully don't have to work today, because Lillian closed off the restaurant due to her sister being in labor and needing assistance. That left me time to do whatever, but I was unable to spend that time I had thoughtfully planned out with Calum because he was being stubborn.

Well okay, not stubborn but it still made me feel upset. I get that family is a thousand times more important than any friend and should be a first priority but I really wanted to spend my days off with him. I was going to take him to one of the empty meadows my mum used to take me to. I'd be able to give him a real flower to put in his hair, rather than a fake one that's sewed onto a fake branch.

I wanted to recreate the moment but it wasn't going to happen today. There's always tomorrow, though.

"Ashton wants me to move in with him."

"Oh?" I pursed, feeling shocked and kind of sad. I rarely ever feel sad, unless of course it involves Calum. I'd kill for that boy.

"Yeah," Luke replied, biting down on his lip ever so slightly.

"Things are moving fast between you two, I guess?"

"You could say that."

"I don't know how to feel," I replied in all honesty, feeling my eyebrows jumble together and my heart ache. Is it because I've been spending so much time with Calum?

"You're not actually going to move in with him, right?" I continued to question, hoping that I didn't sound as though I were on the verge of tears.

"I'm thinking about it. I don't know if I will or not, Mikey."

"I'm your best friend. You promised that we'd stay together no matter what."

"I know that but-"

"There is no but. It's either a promise that you keep or a broken one that becomes empty."

"I-"

"Forget it. I promise I'm not upset with you. You can do whatever you want, but I'm going to call it for a night."

The truth is, I wasn't tired. The only thing I did was lay in bed and reflect on all of the oddly great and terrible things that have been happening to me. I've grown closer to Calum and I've noticed that his eyes are starting to show more fondness rather than cold, lifeless eyes that show nothing but pure hatred and anger. He's becoming more delicate and fragile, and he doesn't care too much about personal space anymore which makes me happy.

It's just funny to me, how the first time I met him, the very first time, he walked away without saying anything. And now, we're closer than strangers, who may or may not have a lot in common. He's an ocean that I'm willing to dive into and I'm so happy he's in my life. Now I just need to find a way to make him mine.

I glanced at the photo him and I took the day we were both wearing flower crowns. I loved how the sunlight was gleaming off of his beautiful tan skin, and how genuinely happy he looked. Maybe it was the crinkle in the bags under his eyes, or that tint of a sparkle in his pupil. Maybe it was the way he was sitting so close to me, and the way he was smiling. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I know it was something.

And that something is going to be my winning ticket to his heart. I just know it. I'm never certain of anything, but I'm certain of this and I'm certain that he, Calum Thomas Hood, the boy with the overly large sweater; the boy who smells like rainforests with a mix of peaches; the boy who has the prettiest brown eyes will eventually be mine.