32

Michael

The kiss replayed in my mind like one of my favorite films and it has officially become my favorite memory. It has officially replaced the one of meeting him and putting a flower crown on his hair. It has officially replaced the beautiful moments of sitting in the parking lot and wrapping my arm around him because he was cold. It has replaced so many things, but those memories will always come close behind in my list of favoritism. Calum is my favorite.

"We need to talk," Luke said rather loudly, scaring me unexpectedly when slamming a book down to get my attention.

"What's up?" I retorted, gulping down uneasily. I wasn't going to admit that I felt my breath staggering because Luke is never violent. He's an incredibly soft person who cares too much about hurting anybody; kind of like Calum. I see the resemblance between them two very well.

"You were fired and you didn't tell me?"

"I- I wasn't sure how to, Luke. And I've been searching for jobs ever since then."

I watched him lift his right eyebrow in disbelief. It was quite obvious that he caught on to my lying and there was nothing I could do to retrieve myself aside from being honest towards my best friend.

"Okay, I haven't been. But it's only because I've been with Calum and I know what you're going to say but you can't tell me that he's a bad influence on my life when you're chasing after an adult that drives you insane."

"He doesn't drive me insane, he just slightly has anger issues. But it's nothing I can't handle because he's very overprotective of me and he automatically knows when something is wrong," Luke rambled and I smiled in satisfaction when realizing I was able to get the subject to change but then he shook his head and frowned slightly and I had a feeling he was going to bring it up again.

"You can't just get me to talk about Ashton like that, Michael."

"Why not?"

"Because this is important. And I would have appreciated it if you would have told me that you were fired because then I could have helped you get a different job. I mean, the music store is hiring and I can see if Ashton is willing to hire you."

"I'd rather not suffer through your endless make out sessions during a job that doesn't pay much."

"Well it's certainly paying you more than what you're making now which is nothing," Luke sassed back and I cringed at how blunt and hateful he was being because it wasn't like I intended on getting fired. I haven't been slacking off as much as Lillian claimed I was, but maybe she pushed me away because she thought my future with Calum was more important than busing tables and taking orders. And if that's the case, then she was being considerate.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I just can't pay the bills all by myself, you know?"

"Yeah, I know. I'll find a way to get money or another job so we can pay the rent at the end of the month. Sound good?"

"Yeah," Luke smiled softly and I was glad he was back to being that soft hearted best friend of mine.

-

I was on the train, for the first time in about a month. I started walking to meet up with Calum because he taught me to love the nature that blossomed around me. It's nice to just grasp for air and gaze at the branches of the trees and stare at my shoes racing across the sidelines. It's beautiful, but again, nothing in this world is as beautiful as Calum Thomas Hood.

I wasn't all that surprised when Flora practically jumped onto me and landed in hug formation, which caused the both of us to laugh because we clumsily fell and made the train swerve a little but not too much.

"I've missed you so much, you physco. I haven't had anybody to rant to for a month. A month. That's how long I was stranded for."

"You act like I left you on an island," I laughed slightly, nudging her arm and sighing contently because I did miss seeing her. And one thing that was different was that her hair was now a flamboyant green and it reminded me of my awkward peppermint days. Though she pulled it off really well. She also put four other piercings in her ears and got herself a tattoo on her right shoulder. I was jealous to say the least, because she was becoming more punk rock than me.

"You kind of did, but that doesn't matter. What matters is how you're holding up since the last time I saw you."

"Great actually. Things have been going incredibly well."

"And how about Calum? Is he still awkward with you?"

I smiled at the sound of his name, and yeah, I was whipped for that chestnut haired boy with the dreamy sienna eyes. And I wasn't ashamed of it either.

"Actually no, he's opened up more these past few months and I'm really proud. Also, don't tell anybody but we sort of kissed yesterday?" I said in more of a questioning tone as if I wasn't certain that it happened or not.

I watched Floras eyes light up before she shook my shoulders in an overly fast motion with widened eyes and a smile on her face.

"Sort of? There's no sort of about it. You kissed him. Or he kissed you. Either way, it happened and oh my god, I'm fangirling for you right now."

"That's kind of weird," I coughed, though inside, I was doing the same thing as her. I felt bubbly inside just thinking about the sparks that I felt between us. And I kept thinking about how beautiful his tanned skin looked under the street lights and how even if it randomly started to rain, the moment couldn't be ruined because our lips were like electricity and they were moving together like waves that I didn't even know existed. And it was the most beautiful, if not hectic, thing to experience in my lifetime. I'm beyond grateful for that boy.

"It's not. I'm so happy for you, Mike Bike."

I cringed at her nickname because they just keep getting worse but it was a nice gesture that she at least attempted to make me smile. And she did. Because she kept asking about Calum and I felt like angels were flowing off of my tongue because he was sent to me and talking about him felt like breathing your first and final breath; a peaceful sensation.

And yeah, maybe the only reason I found myself on the train was because I wanted to talk to Mali. It wasn't because I was trying to do something secretive behind Calum's back, but it was because I wanted to ask her more about him. Like what his favorite breakfast was; if he preferred avocado on toast or a nice, steamy bowl of oatmeal or blueberry pancakes. I wanted to know about his favorite film; if he liked comedies or horror or chic flics. I wanted to know what his favorite color on him was. If he preferred saturated colors like dark blue or black or if he liked bright ones such as purple or pink. All colors looked good on him in my opinion.

I wanted to know everything; from every little detail to every little flaw so I could make one moment perfect. And that one moment is a huge step in my life that I've never really been nervous for. But I'm so nervous to ask him that question with four words, six syllables, twenty letters and a quotation mark. I'd stutter, surely, but maybe finding out more about the person he hides will be my official ticket to his heart.

Because right now, it's locked. And I'm determined to open it and discover all of the compartments he hates, because every single one of them is beautiful. Just like him.