10

Michael

Thomas Hood. It had a nice ring to it, but it wasn't enough to find him anywhere on social media. The only things that came up were a couple of old men wearing strange green hats on their heads or the most unfortunate one of all, 'there are no results.'

I absolutely hated that. I hated how mysterious Hood was and how he wouldn't let me get close enough to knowing his first name yet somehow told me the rest. It's almost as if he doesn't trust me enough.

"Guess what book I got today?" Flora asked with excitement envied in her tone. I just wasn't in the mood today to hear about what she's adding to her book collection. The only thing I could actually think about was that department and how I desperately wanted Hood to get involved with it. He seemed so hesitant and I don't understand why. He's amazing. Artwork like his needs to be seen or else the world is missing out on a masterpiece.

"What?" I replied, listening to the sounds of the train hitting the tracks. It wasn't a pleasant sound, but it was a lot better than hearing her ramble on about some hopeless romance novel that I could care less about.

"The Fault In Our Stars."

She seemed so happy, a little too happy. Maybe there was something within her that explained why she read so many romance novels. Perhaps she was lonely and is looking for somebody who could make her feel the way fictional characters do. Or maybe she just really likes investing in something that isn't reality. I on the other hand enjoy capturing my reality as I experience it. Hood has become my reality and without him, I'm not sure what I'd do.

"Is that the book where the girl has cancer and dies?" I question, feeling depressed already. I don't like sad things. I'm the type of person that's full of life. And if I'm down, I'll go have coffee in the nearest shop and reflect on why I'm in a bad mood in the first place. It always seems to work.

"Yeah, but she's not the only one with cancer."

"Right. That's good that you've got your book. Now, I have a question that I need an answer to."

"Hm?" Flora mumbled quietly as she slid a bookmark into the thirty eighth page of the fault in our stars. She sure does read fast, faster than I ever could, anyway.

"Hood's sister wants him to get involved with this arts department. And I already know the place he's talking about. GAD. I almost enrolled myself there when I started learning to play guitar."

"And you didn't why?"

"Because I wanted to focus on my education and job first. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I'm considering secretly getting him enrolled."

"Secretly?"

"Yeah, like I'd talk to Will, who owns the department and I could easily get Hood in. And Hood would be so thankful that I did that he'd just fall in love with me," I spoke quickly with a smile approaching my face, "what do you think?"

"I think," Flora paused to allow herself to breathe, "that's stupid."

"What?" My smile fell immediately. It had to be the best idea yet and she just insulted it by calling it stupid. That doesn't sound like a valid reason or excuse for me not to do it. I want, no, need Hood to want me and this is the best way to do it.

"Think about it, Mike. You could be getting yourself into trouble. If he doesn't want to join the department, then you shouldn't go behind his back and enroll him anyway. Let him do it himself. That way he won't hate you."

"No, he told me himself. He's too scared to get involved with these sorts of things so if I do it for him, he'll be forever thankful and will want to marry me because of it."

"Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you."

-

I should have listened to Flora. I should have. But nothing was going to stop me. The minute the train came to a stop and I arrived in front of the department, I was ready to do the riskiest thing I'd ever done. It's not like Hood would find out, anyways. It would all become a secretive mess that I personally don't care about. He deserves this. It's in his possession now.

"Will?"

"Michael," Will spoke loudly, "I haven't seen you since you were twelve. How's your mother doing?"

"Just fine," I retorted, not wanting to go deep in conversation about my mother. She was the one who had gotten me involved with music in the first place. Once she met Will, she immediately knew he'd "make my dreams come true" but I never followed through.

"Suddenly change your mind about joining my department?"

"Actually no, but somebody else did."

-

I knew what I did was wrong the minute I shook Wills hand. I began to regret everything once I stepped back onto the loud noisy train. It was a time to think about my mistakes, but this was a big one.

What if Hood hates me because of this?

No, he could never hate me. I'm too pretty. And nobody could ever hate Michael Gordon Clifford.

Nobody.

At least that's what I believed for now, but little did I know what was to come for the future.

-

915 words.

This story is a mess.

A big, boring mess.

It seems like nobody reads it. Like at all.

I'm sorry :-( I don't know how to get people to read or enjoy my writing. But I'm not going to stop! Some of the best writers started small and grew bigger so I won't lose hope.

Maybe I should start writing longer chapters. Anyways, enjoy this one and be prepared for the next one. And the one after that. >:-)