44

Michael

"I do, because you make me feel infinite, Michael. And that's all I could have ever asked for."

I've always known what it's like to smile, to feel nearly full because I'm granted with so many beautiful things, but Calum has given me the ability to become whole. I've learned that life isn't about being some stuck up jerk who claims he owns people simply because he likes them. Calum taught me that it's okay to like someone, but if you want to claim them as yours, you have to fight for it. You have to prove that you're not some dirt pile in the middle of the road just waiting for someone to run over you. You have to prove that you're there for the long run, to seek improvements and help your partner become successful and happy as well. It's not only about you.

"Dance with me," I spat out of the blue, causing Calum's head to shoot up and eyes to go as wide as a bowling ball. It was quite adorable.

"W-What?"

"Dance with me," I repeated softer, standing up and holding my hand out for him to grab. He continued to shake his head and look down at the water where his feet were dangling. If I'm going to make any changes, it's going to make Calum realize that his insecurities aren't everything. That he's so much stronger than his demons.

"Michael, I don't dance."

"You do now," I mumbled as I grabbed his hand and pulled him close to me, him grasping onto my waist as tight as possible because he assumed he was going to fall into the river. Little did he know that I didn't plan on getting rid of him, ever.

"I uh- this is weird," Calum gulped, slowly releasing his hands away from my waist and wrapping them gently around my neck so he wouldn't mistakenly strangle me. That'd be kind of depressing, really. I made him follow my lead as I placed my hands on his waist and guided his hips along to the rhythm of the air. There wasn't any music, which my boyfriend ended up commenting on, but I suggested that I'd sing a song while we dance.

"Any suggestions?"

"Remedy."

I nodded, just before closing the space between us and pressing our foreheads together so he could hear me singing as softly as possible, without the two of us waking the rest of the world up. I also began to guide our feet, his eyes following along until he became comfortable enough to just stare at me while our legs dangle together.

"I remember all of the things that I thought I wanted to be. So desperate to find a way out of my world and finally breathe. Right before my eyes I saw, my heart it came to life. This ain't easy, it's not meant to be. Every story has its scars. When the pain cuts you deep. When the night keeps you from sleeping. Just look and you will see that I will be your remedy. When the world seems so cruel and your heart makes you feel like a fool. I promise you will see that I will be, I will be your remedy."

I could feel his heart starting to beat quicker, which made the moment even more beautiful, but of course, I continued to sing to him, despite feeling his hands starting to go numb and clammy.

"No river is too wide or too deep for me to swim to you. Come whatever, I'll be the shelter that won't let the rain come through. Your love, it is my truth and I will always love you, love you. When the pain cuts you deep. When the night keeps you from sleeping. Just look and you will see that I will be your remedy. When the world seems so cruel and your heart makes you feel like a fool. I promise you will see that I will be, I will be your remedy."

"Fuck Michael, fuck," Calum said weakly as he contracted his hands away from my neck, shortly before pressing his lips roughly against me, but not in an eager way. It was in a way that resembled hope and faith that everything truthfully would get better, because he has me at his side, and at the moment, it seems like I'm all he really needs to feel okay.

"I love you so fucking much."

Now it was my hearts turn to start pounding rapidly, but I managed to calm myself down by entwining our fingers and kissing him back - softer of course - and it was beautiful, watching him melt into the kiss and smile, his foot arching slightly off the ground as a way to say this moment couldn't get any better - and soon enough, we released our lips to gasp for air and I found myself kissing his nose and forehead repeatedly.

"You are the best damn thing that's happened to me, Cal," I began to mumble and somewhat stutter, "I lost my job because I was too busy thinking about you, and everyone told me that you weren't worth my time, but god, I knew you were from the moment I saw you sitting alone on the train bench. I knew you were the one for me the second you drew me and trusted me enough to reveal it, from the moment you told me that you are Calum Thomas Hood and that you wouldn't waste a breath trying to forget about me because that's the last thing you want to do. And because of the way you've made me feel these past few months, I can genuinely say that I'm so fucking in love with you and I want to be in love with you until I'm buried six feet under the stars, next to your gravestone, holding your hand, even when it's gone numb. I want you forever."

I watched Calum's eyes start to water, his lips start to quiver, his hair start to fall in front of his face, his hands start to dangle at his sides, his skin start to grow lighter than usual, his eyes start to turn brighter, his ears start to turn crimson red, his lips start to become flaky and dry, his nail polish start to become chipped as he began to pick it, his feet start to tap against the deck we were standing on, his lips began to curve into a smile - a genuine one - and it felt so fucking amazing knowing that I could make Calum Thomas Hood, the boy afraid of commitment, the boy afraid of his demons, the boy afraid of putting himself out there, the boy afraid of his insecurities, the boy afraid of mirrors smile again and it was worth every second I spent fighting for him.

And oh god, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Fin.

-

A/N; this story is now officially over. I'll have a short epilogue up shortly after this is published (today) so don't forget to check it out.

What did you guys think about this book? Like honestly, I'm curious.

I'm so sad it's over but I lost motivation so it had to end. Maybe one day I'll write a sequel. (No promises.)

I love you all so damn much and please don't forget to leave a comment and a vote. 💕 I'm going to go write the epilogue now.