30

Michael

"You're fired."

My chest was tightening as those golden electrifying bolts shot threw me like arrows that arched from a target. I've had this job for over two years and I could feel every ounce of anxiety taking over me and counting fingers wasn't working. Nether was breathing in and out and saying numbers out loud.

"What?"

"You're fired, Michael. You've been showing up to work late and it's extremely irresponsible. Maybe you should have spent less time with that boy."

"You're the one who encouraged me to talk to him in the first place," I told Lillian as I leaned against the countertop with my body trembling. Even my voice was weak.

I needed this job. I couldn't afford not to have one.

"That doesn't mean you put him over this job. I'm sorry but it's too late to reconsider your position. Somebody has already taken your place."

Maybe it was wrong of me to show up at the train station where I knew Calum would be waiting for his sister but I needed somebody to talk to because this pain and worry was taking over me like fireflies trapped in a jar and I couldn't do it. I couldn't let my world fall into debt; and let that debt seep into the blankets of a coffin that could get drifted inside of the creek of a river. I couldn't let everything I worked for die; everything I saved for.

It wasn't because of him.

Calum didn't do anything. It's my fault for being so connected to a static sound in a city that never sleeps. It's my fault for wanting to waste the night dangling my fingers with his as we sit in the parking lot under the stars and just talk. It's my fault for letting Calum cry wolf every single time he was sad and avoid going to work because I care more about comforting him than I do about showing up to some stupid job that isn't going to make a difference when I'm dead.

It is my fault, but I'm not putting the blame on him. Because every second I spend with him is a second of my life that I always want to remember. We never get back time and each moment I spend with him isn't taken for granted. I cherish it all. I cherish the small moments, even when he's whimpering. I cherish the moments of us making eye contact and the moments of watching him awkwardly stare at the ground as if he said something wrong when he never does.

I love him and maybe losing my job was worth it, but I'm screwed because I don't know how I'm going to pay rent now.

"Michael, are you okay?"

Calum ran up to me. He literally ran up to me. It was like I sent daggers through his heart and he couldn't move once he stood in front of me and saw my tear stained cheeks because I'm supposed to be tough one here. I'm always cocky and confident and I know what to say but now he's here, standing in the shoes that I wear daily and he doesn't know what to do.

He hugged me tightly and his grip was incredibly strong. I was so used to feeling wet tears on my shoulder that it felt nice to feel a sad smile welcoming it's way onto mine even though it was sad. It showed that he was sympathetic and cared about my emotions also. It wasn't just about him and how he was having a bad day but he would also put me first.

"Please sit down and tell me what happened." And of course, I obligingly followed his orders as usual and sat next to him, not giving him personal space even though there was a lot of bench room.

"My boss - she fired me today."

"What?"

Calum sounded angry. I've never heard him this loud. He's the quiet type, the one who you wouldn't expect to be able to shout because they prefer wrapping themselves up in trot occupied bubble. It was strange hearing it but I loved and hated it all at the same time.

"Calm down."

"No, I'm so pissed right now. You worked hard at that job, Michael. Do I need to go down there and give her a piece of my mind?"

"My precious, that's not necessary. You're not intimidating, though I appreciate that you offered. Please don't worry about it. I just want comfort and cuddles."

"It might be hard to cuddle on a bench but we can try."

"Or we can just go to my place?"

"That too."

-

We ended up at my house, and I was laying on Calum's stomach while he stroked his hands through my hair. It was such a calming gesture and I appreciated every second of it.

"You have an eyelash on your cheek," Calum mumbled as he used his thumb to wipe it off, then he smiled and held it in front of my face, "make a wish."

I closed my eyes and did so, then glanced up at him to see his soft brown eyes gazing down at me.

"What'd you wish for?"

"I'd tell you, but it'd ruin the purpose."

"Please. I really want to know."

"I can't."

"Why not?" Calum asked, easing his way to pushing my buttons but he couldn't annoy me because I loved him too much and ugh, he made life more difficult than it needed to be.

"Because you'd judge me for it."

"No, I wouldn't."

"You would."

"Please tell me your wish."

"My wish is to be yours."

"Well maybe I want to be yours too," Calum retorted and I could feel every string inside of my heart being pulled and he was leaving me breathless and in pain and it felt like I was being killed with medication labeled as heartbreak and I wanted to get rid of this endless feeling of dread because I've waited months to be able to call this boy mine and to be able to tell the world that I could kiss him and mark him and say that nobody else can have him because that precious little angel who's so fucking beautiful is mine but I'm on a level of unsteady repetition and I'm so tired of waiting.

But he's worth the wait.

"When?"

Calum looked down at his nails, then back up at me.

"Soon."

-

A/N:

Why is Calum holding back like tf

Anyway this is a really bad filler and my fingers hurt and it's like midnight I'm so sorry.

Please don't forget to leave a comment and a vote and I appreciate everything okay goodbye.💕💕💕💕💕💕💋