34

Michael

I couldn't believe it when Luke told me he was staying with Ashton for a few days because he was "down in the dumps" or whatever and Luke was surprisingly, lending me his car for a day because he didn't feel like paying for gas.

Even if I don't have a job anymore, I knew I had some in my savings and I could definitely take Calum somewhere, away from all of the problems he's facing in the world right now. Somewhere beautiful; almost as beautiful as him. Like an ocean; that skyrockets stars into the soft orbs that dilate inside of his eyes when he stares at me; or a sunset that saturates into a golden orange that reminds me slightly of his skin color when he stands under a laminated street light. Somewhere that could make him feel alive; a place where he can remember to just breathe.

"Wait, so I can have your truck for a day?"

"Just one. And if you're going to use it, you better pay for gas and keep it clean. I don't want to come back and find out that there's scratches or dents carved into it."

I nodded, understanding perfectly. If I were to have a car, then I'd certainly want somebody to take care of it as well. Especially if it were somebody I've trusted my entire life.

"I promise I won't damage it."

"Alright, I'm trusting you."

-

I asked Calum to meet me at the train station, because I really wanted to spend time with him again tonight. I also informed him that bringing a bag with some clothes in it would be great, because I don't intend on coming back until tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon. Either way, it requires staying wherever we're going to end up.

I was satisfied with myself when seeing him show up with a black duffel bag wrapped around his shoulder. He had his phone in one hand and earbuds in the other, which caught me off guard because he's usually wearing them as a way to ignore the world around him. The world he finds so ignorant and ridiculous.

"Hi beautiful."

"Hi," Calum mumbled lightly, his cheeks turning red instantly. I love making him blush, if you haven't noticed by now.

"How are you today?"

"Tired. How are you?"

"Wonderful now that you're here," I returned with full honesty. It wasn't a lie. I was in a really bad mood when realizing that I'd be alone all night without my best friend, but then he decided I could have his car for the night which made everything a million times better because transportation is a gift.

"Stop making me blush."

"I can't, because you're so cute."

Calum rubbed his fingers across his nose, allowing a small sniffle to linger afterwards and I found it absolutely adorable.

"I know we don't really do these anymore but I found another pickup line that might amuse you."

I grinned, because I missed telling him those nearly everyday. Usually, I'd be the one to bring something back. But it must be Opposite Day because he did it first.

"Hit me with your best shot," I mumbled, then mentally face palmed when realizing that was a song and I totally could have sung along to the lyrics if I really wanted to.

"Roses are red, violets are blue," Calum started out shakily, his voice seeming hesitant and full of fear, "I didn't know what perfect was until I met you."

My heart nearly stopped at the sound of him calling me perfect. If anybody is perfect, it's Calum Thomas Hood. His picture can be found next to the definition in the dictionary.