Chapter 7

Chapter 7

       Grayson and I haven't really talked for the next two weeks. The only time we did was when we worked on our Intro to Biology assignment, which wasn't even on the weekend. He was out that Saturday and Sunday so I actually had to get Belle to go over the lecture with me.

       When we weren't working on the assignment, he was out of the apartment, doing whatever. He normally came home after eleven and once, he came home at two in the morning. I couldn't sleep that night because I was worrying about him, but I didn't have the guts to call him either.

       Not to mention most of the nights, he would sleep on the couch instead of in our bed. It was hurting me a whole lot. We have never been this mad at each other before. We haven't hugged or kissed or held hands for two weeks.

       And I was really hating it.

       One Sunday morning, I woke up around twelve and was finally able to pull myself out of bed. I walked to the kitchen to get something to eat since I was starving. I immediately noticed a piece of paper on the fridge, so I took it off and read it.

Flower, we were running out of groceries so I ran to the store to fill up and I didn't want to wake you. Text me if you need anything. I love you. -Grayson

       I stared at the note for a bit before placing it on the kitchen counter. That was the first time where Grayson actually told me where he was. The other times, he took off and didn't tell me where he was going. It wasn't like he needed to, but I was wondering where he was when he came home past eleven. Then again, he was probably off at parties since people couldn't stop throwing them.

       I made myself a sandwich and sat in front of the TV, something I did basically everyday when I wasn't doing schoolwork. Other times, I tried playing video games but I was rarely able to concentrate.

       I finished eating and went to the kitchen, washing the dishes that were in the sink. While I was doing so, I caught sight of the promise ring on my hand. I still remember everything Grayson said to me when he gave it to me.

       "I love you a lot, Poppy. And I know we're young and still in high school, but I really do see us sharing a life together in the future. And that's why I want to give you this promise ring. I promise that one day, I will ask you to marry me. Because I love you more than anyone."

       I wiped a tear away before I began drying the dishes. I loved him so much and his promises meant the world to me, but ever since university started, it seemed like the promises he made had little meaning.

       As soon as I put the last dish away, the front door opened and closed. Grayson then walked into the kitchen, dropping a few grocery bags near the entry to the kitchen. "Poppy, can we talk?" he asked.

       "Sure," I said quietly.

       "I'm just going to get straight to the point," he said. "If you're mad at me, you need to tell me why instead of ignoring me all day."

       Was he serious? "I told you why I was mad," I said. "And I can't really talk to you when you're never home."

       "So that's it?" Grayson asked. "You're mad because I'm not near you all the time? Since when did you get so clingy?"

       "Clingy?" I repeated. "I am not clingy. You never being home isn't the full problem. The full problem is you never keeping the promises you make with me. You promised to work with me on our first assignment, but you didn't keep that promise. Then, you promised to help me understand the lecture we had two weeks ago before we start on the assignment we were working on together, but you went to a party instead."