Chapter 22

Chapter 22

       I didn't know why, but I never particularly liked New Year's Eve. Yeah, it was a holiday where we celebrated our achievements and looked forward to a new year, but I never really celebrated it. 

       Besides, looking at this past year, there was no way I wanted to celebrate it. Just thinking about it made me sad. My boyfriend was diagnosed with depression and tried killing himself twice, and was close to doing it a third time. We got into a huge car crash, which caused him to be in a coma for two weeks and for me to be paralyzed waist down for two months. Even though all of that happened last year, it still felt like it just happened.

       And now, I was pregnant and still in university. It wasn't as bad as being pregnant in high school, but still. I was going to have to put my life on hold soon to raise my son.

       "Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" Grayson asked. "Because I can."

       "Grayson, go have fun," I said. "I promise I'll be fine. And I will call if I need anything."

       "Alright," Grayson said, walking over to me and kissing my cheek. "You'll know where to find me. I love you."

       "I love you too," I said before he left. There was a party going on that Grayson's friend was throwing and he got invited, and was even told to bring me, but I didn't really want to go. For one, I hated parties, even if I went that one time. And two, I had a strong sense of smell and did not want to be in a place that reeked of alcohol.

       Grayson wasn't sure if he should leave me here alone, but he hasn't been to any parties recently and he has been stuck at work, so I thought it would be fair if he went to let loose. I didn't want me to be the reason he was stressing out. Besides, I wasn't too pregnant so I could handle being alone.

       I settled onto the couch with a bag of popcorn and turned to the one thing that would always be with me; Netflix. I was on it too much, but there were so many good movies too watch. 

       In the middle of the second movie I was watching, my cell phone started ringing. I looked at the caller id; Belle. "Hello?" I answered as I paused the movie.

       "Poppy, I know you hate parties, but you have to get down here," she said in a rush, her voice almost drowned out by the music in the background.

       "Why? What's wrong?" I asked.

       She sighed. "It's Grayson. I don't really have the time to explain. He's fine, but....Just get down here."

       "Okay, I'm on my way," I said before hanging up. I turned off the TV and grabbed Grayson's sweatshirt, pulling it over my head. I grabbed my house keys and left the apartment, locking the door behind me. Grayson, before he left, told me that the party was at the same place when I went to one, so I knew where it was.

       As soon as I walked in, the smell of alcohol filled my nose and I started feeling nauseous. However, I had to look for Belle. Or Grayson because he was apparently the reason I was here.

       I walked around the house, trying to find either of them. However, I was coming up with nothing.

       When I was around the kitchen, I heard a familiar voice. Mina. I knew she didn't like me, but maybe she might be able to tell me where Belle or Grayson was.

       I turned the corner, not believing what I was seeing. I found Grayson, on the bright side.

       On the not-so-bright side, Mina was hitting on him. Clearly. She didn't see me yet, so I stood there, honestly wanting to see what happened.