Chapter 32

Just a heads up that this chapter is probably very intense. 

Grayson

       Three weeks. Just three weeks left until the due date and I couldn't wait. I wanted Ryder to be born so bad. I wanted to hold him and just be a father. I didn't care that I was twenty and still in university.

       Graeme thought that I was weird when I talked to him a few days ago and told him how excited I was for Ryder to come. He didn't understand that I wanted to be the father that mine wasn't. I wanted my little boy to know what it was like to have both parents, not neither.

       Poppy was out of the house right now, getting some of the cookies she was really craving. I offered to go for her, but she said she really needed the fresh air. I had been leaving the apartment to go to work, so I wasn't coped up as much as her.

       Since she was going to be home any moment, I began looking through the fridge to find something for dinner. Maybe poutine.... Poppy seemed to like that.

       My cell phone started ringing, so I picked it up and looked at the caller id. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered anyway. "Hello?" I asked.

       "Hello, Grayson Prince?" the person on the other line asked.

       "Yes, that's me," I said.

       "We have you under Poppy McCormick's emergency contact," the person said. 

       Emergency contact. "Yeah, I am. Why?"

       "She was hit by a speeding car and is currently in the emergency room," the voice said.

       My heart dropped as soon as she said that. I hung up immediately and grabbed my keys before hurrying out of the apartment and going to my car. While I was driving to the hospital, I dialed Elliot's phone number. "Hello?" Elliot answered.

       "Elliot, I need you to come to the hospital please," I said.

       "The hospital? Why? Is everything okay?" she asked.

       "I....I don't know," I said. "Poppy....she was hit by a car and....and she's in the emergency room and...."

       "Grayson," Elliot interrupted. "We'll be there soon, okay? Just hang in there." She hung up.

       When I got to the hospital, I hurried inside, my heart beating out of my chest. My Flower....She had to be okay. I couldn't lose her. She was my everything, my whole world.

       I went to the front desk. "I'm here to see Poppy McCormick," I said.

       "I'm afraid nobody could see her at the moment," the man behind the desk said.

       "Please, I need to see her," I said, tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

       "Sir, you're going to have to wait here," he said. "They're going to try their best, but nobody can see her at the moment."

       "You don't understand," I said. "She's my girlfriend! She's carrying my baby! I need to see her!"

       "Sir, I'm going to need you to calm down," he said. "We understand, but nobody is allowed to see her at the moment."

       Before I could object anymore, a hand wrapped around my arm and tried pulling me away. "Grayson, come on," Elliot said. "Just sit down in the waiting area."

       I pulled my arm out from her grasp. "Elliot, I can't just wait. I have to see her now!"

       I was about to head to the emergency room, defying the orders, but strong hands caught me this time and I knew it was Laughlin. He had one hand wrapped around my wrist and the other firmly on my shoulder. Why did I call them here again?