Epilogue

Epilogue

~Poppy: Age 22~

       I stared at myself in the full length mirror, smoothing down my sundress. It wasn't that noticeable, was it? It couldn't be, not yet.

       "Flower?!" Grayson called from outside the bedroom. "Are you almost done? Ryder's getting impatient here!"

       I sighed before walking out of the bedroom. "I'm ready," I said.

       "Finally," Grayson said. "I thought I'd have to carry you out myself."

       I rolled my eyes. "I wasn't taking that long."

       "Sure you weren't," Grayson said. "Ryder, you ready to go?"

       "Yup!" Ryder said happily, jumping off the couch and hurrying to the front door. He put on his shoes and began jumping up and down. "Hurry, Mommy and Daddy!"

       "I told you he was impatient," Grayson told me as we went to the front door. Once we were all ready to leave, we left the apartment and went to the car in the underground parking. Grayson helped Ryder into the backseat as I loaded the trunk with the picnic basket and blanket.

       I was so happy Grayson and I graduated from university last month. Now, we could give Ryder all our focus. Well, not just Ryder....

       ....I still had to tell Grayson.

       Grayson drove us to the beach and basically the whole way there, Ryder went on and on about how he couldn't wait to see otters, even though Grayson told him there wasn't otters at the beach. Ryder was just as obsessed with otters as Grayson was.

       Grayson pulled into the parking lot and we got out of the car. Grayson carried the picnic basket and I carried the blanket as Ryder walked between us, holding both of our hands. "Can we get ice cream?!" Ryder asked.

       "Later," Grayson promised. "We have to eat the picnic first before we get ice cream?"

       "Why?" Ryder asked. "Ice cream can be lunch."

       "No, it can't," Grayson said.

       "But it's food," Ryder said. "We shouldn't discriminate food."

       Grayson gave Ryder a weird look. "How do you know what that word means? You're three."

       "I'm awesome," Ryder said. Yup, he totally had Grayson's arrogant genes.

       We ended up finding a place at the beach that wasn't near anybody else. Not that I minded being near people. Sometimes, I liked it when it was just me, my boyfriend, and our son without people nearby. It was relaxing.

       I set up the picnic blanket and we all sat down on it. Grayson opened the picnic basket and handed Ryder his favorite sandwich --Nutella. Ryder thanked Grayson before he began shoving his face with the sandwich.

       I sighed. "Ryder, eat slowly, please."

       "But it's Nutella."

       "I know, but you shouldn't eat too fast," I said.

       "Yes, Mommy," Ryder said before he began eating at a regular pace.

       "Wake me up in an hour," Grayson said before he laid down on the blanket, resting his arm over his eyes.

       Ryder immediately frowned. "But Daddy, we're at the beach. You can't sleep. What if there's an otter and you miss it?"

       "Then I miss it," Grayson said. "Goodnight."