Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Grayson

       When my alarm went off, I quickly turned it off so I wouldn't wake up Poppy. She had a rough night, since it was her time of the month and she had nasty cramps. She didn't have school today, so she was able to rest today, especially because I had something planned.

        And luckily, my professors for today were allowing it as long as I sat near the exit.

       I got out of bed, just in time to hear Ryder stir in his crib for a bit before he started crying. I hurried over and gently picked him up, rocking him so he would calm down until I could get milk for him from the fridge.

       When he stopped crying, I looked over at Poppy, who stirred a bit herself, but thankfully staying asleep.

       She was adorable when she slept.

       I walked out of the room with Ryder and went to the fridge, taking out a bottle of milk for Ryder, as well as the milk carton so I could eat cereal and not worry about having to cook something while holding Ryder. Pouring cereal into a bowl was hard enough, not to mention I had to hold Ryder and the bottle in one hand to eat with the other.

       Ryder finished drinking the bottle a few seconds before I finished eating, so I put both the bottle and the bowl in the sink before heading back to my room. Poppy was still asleep.

       I placed Ryder in the crib, hoping he would be content laying there until I could get changed. He was, but he also decided to babble incoherently, which was a bit too loud in the quiet room. Please don't wake Poppy.

       Needless to say, I had to get changed as fast as I could, yet quietly, so I could take Ryder out of the room because he was too damn loud. Cute, but loud.

       I was done getting changed, so I picked out an outfit for Ryder and got him dressed, once again quietly. Then, I walked out of our bedroom with him and put him in the carseat, which was attached to the stroller, before making sure the diaper bag was filled with everything I needed.

       The last thing I did before I left, besides grabbing my school bag, was write Poppy a note.

Dear Flower, I know you had a rough night, so I decided to take Ryder to class with me today. Make sure you relax and take it easy today. I love you. -Grayson.

       Once I stuck in on my pillow, I left the apartment with Ryder and locked the door behind me. I stopped off at the cafe first, getting a cup a coffee and some brownies before heading off the the university.

       Even though my first class wasn't going to start for another fifteen minutes, I went there anyway to claim a seat by the door where I could park the stroller or quickly leave if Ryder became too fussy.

       My professor was there and walked over to me when I walked in. "Hello, Grayson," he said. "I have to say, I was a bit surprised when you emailed me to ask if you could bring your son to class."

       "Yeah, well he wasn't really planned," I said. "But both my girlfriend and I don't want to put university on hold because then we might not want to go back after taking a break."

       He nodded. "Yes, that's perfectly understandable. Does your girlfriend have a class right now as well?"

       "No," I said. "She had a rough night, so I decided I could try to see if my son could come with me so she can relax. We made sure we have classes different days so one of us could always stay home with him. The only time we have a class the same day is Wednesday, but we have the same class so one of us could hold him while the other takes notes. Well, that's all until he's old enough to go to daycare."