Chapter 10

Chapter 10

       I sat nervously in the chair at the doctor's office, waiting for my name to be called. I was certain that I was feeling this way because of stress. University was a lot of pressure and the courses I was taking wasn't exactly easy. Stress was the logical reason.

       Grayson was holding my hand because he knew how jittery I was. I couldn't stop shaking my leg which I normally did when I was nervous or anxious.

       "It will be okay," Grayson said.

       "I know it will," I said. "Because it's...."

       "Don't say stress," Grayson said. "Does stress cause vomiting?"

       "Actually, yes, it can," I said. "Or at least that's what I read on Google....But I'm positive it's stress."

       Grayson sighed. He didn't believe me but I was positive it was stress. That was it.

       "Poppy?" my regular doctor, Dr. Shay, said as she walked into the waiting room. "Your turn."

       Grayson give me a quick kiss before I followed Dr. Shay to the check-up room. She gestured for me to sit down on the chair, and I did. "So, what seems to be the problem?" she asked.

       "Well, I've been feeling a bit weird lately," I said. "I'm pretty sure it's just because I've been feeling stressed ever since I started university, but my boyfriend, Grayson, wanted me to get checked out."

       "It's always best to double check," she said, grabbing her clipboard off of her desk. "So, what are these weird feelings you've been having?"

       "I've been extremely hungry, even though I eat a lot," I said. "And I've been feeling dizzy and nauseous from time to time and last night, I threw up even though I didn't eat anything bad."

       Dr. Shay nodded. "I see. And have you been feeling a bit fatigued as well?" I nodded. "And have you been a bit more sensitive to smell?" Once again, I nodded. "Poppy, have you missed a period lately?"

       "Well, yeah, but being stressed can cause someone to miss it," I said.

       "Poppy, I don't think any of this has to do with stress," she said. "You mentioned that you have a boyfriend. Have the two of you ever had intercourse?"

       I blinked a few times, processing what she said. "W-wait," I said. "Are you saying that I'm....That I'm pregnant? No, I can't be. I mean, yeah, we have, but only once a couple weeks ago."

       "One time can be all it takes," she said. "Did you start feeling the symptoms shortly after the intercourse?"

       I was a bit silent. It did start a few days after Grayson and I did it for the first time.

       We didn't even use a condom.

       "Yeah," I finally said. "It was about four or five days after. But pregnancy symptoms can't come that fast, right?"

       "Actually, they can," Dr. Shay said. "It's different for each person. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I the symptoms came about three days after conception. You can take a blood test which will determine if you're pregnant or not."

       "Okay," I said quietly. This couldn't happen. It was stress. It had to be stress. I couldn't be pregnant, not right now. I just started university and being pregnant could change everything.

       While Dr. Shay was taking the test, I couldn't stop thinking about it. If I was, how would Grayson react? Would he leave me? Tell me to abort it? Would he be happy? Would he be mad?